Microvox question

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Phlebas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Phlebas »

Hi all!

I hope everyone is getting in lots of play-time on their whistles this summer. I want to pick your brains on a topic I'm all too unfamiliar with: mics. I saw a fellow use what looked like a Microvox flute mic about two weeks ago, and I wondered if it is "PC friendly". I would like to plug into my computer and record some tunes, but I don't have any idea of which mics are the best for this application! Many people seem to like these Microvox "Minis" for the whistle, but are they set up for computer inputs? If not, I would appreciate any advice for someone interested in computer recordings. Thanks!

Phlebas
ErikT
antispam: No

Post by ErikT »

They work fine with my computer. It uses a standard 1/4" mono output jack, so you'll need an adapter to take it to 1/8" stereo, but otherwise it works well. You can run it in either the line-in or the mic jack on your sound card. I've used mine with a computer, tape recorder, and video recorder without any problems. You can also amp it using any standard amp/sound system.

Erik

p.s. To all those that are tired of hearing about these mics please notice that I didn't bring them up this time :smile: I really have no investment in these mics. Really. Trust me.
Blaine McArthur

Post by Blaine McArthur »

Just about any sound card made these days should have an input to accept just about any microphone you want to use. You may have to get an adapter to go from 1/4 inch plug to 1/8 inch plug, depending on the plug on the end of your microphone. I plug my Shures directly into my computer all the time. I even plug the cord from my guitars straight into the computer sometimes.

What type of recording software are you using? The standard recorder included with windows is woefully inadequate. It is useable, but barely.
Blaine McArthur

Post by Blaine McArthur »

BTW Erik, no need to apologize about the Microvox. I have not used it myself; I have had no reason to this mike my whistle yet, but I have looked into this system and found only good reports on it.

Flutist and flute maker Terry McGee has a review of this system at:

http://www.westf.demon.co.uk/flute-rev.htm

I have also looked at the barcus Berry external flute mike and it costs $100 more than the Micro-vox and looks a bit more awkward.

There is another system I have heard something about, called the Trans Acoustic TA-ZS, but it sells for over $500!!!

Blaine
Jose Ortega y Gasset
Phlebas

Post by Phlebas »

Thanks guys! That's the info I was looking for. Blaine, or anyone else, any recommendations for recording software that I should look into? If you could name a few options to get me started, I'd be grateful. What you use, what you have seen/heard others use, etc. Thanks!

Phlebas