brass vs. nickel

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
kardshark87
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kardshark87 »

hey all,
I've been looking at the whistles on thoms's website (the whistle shop) and i was wandering, what's the difference between brass and nickel. if u have any answers please tell me. thanx

Brent
jmssmh

Post by jmssmh »

Some people think that the brass is a little mellower and the nickle is a little brighter.

The brass is cheaper, gets a used look to the whistle quicker and it is less slippery than the nickle.

Joe
ErikT
antispam: No

Post by ErikT »

Hi Brent,

Nickel is atomic symbol Ni, number 28 and weight is 58.71.

Copper is atomic symbol is Cu, number is 29 and weight is 63.54.

:wink: Erik

p.s. By this I mean that there really isn't much difference in the sounds of different metals (used in the thicknesses used in whistles). It is largely aesthetic and the sound of the whistles depends more upon the design than the material. (In my opinion, this is true for metal and plastic, but wood, probably because of it's porosity, does seem to sound different)

May I offer this from the archives. From Mr. Hoover:
WHISTLE STOCK
Big bird bones, burned bamboo-- either one of these will do.
Wood is good, but all that toil; and where do I find almond oil?
Or how about a curtain rod; do you really think that is odd?
What about the pole of a skier; the tone of that is really clear.
The pole of a tent (don't tell where it went. If she knew where it went
I'd have to repent!
How about copper--now that is proper. I found it in a salvage hopper.
A plumber simply tossed it aside, but its whistle potential didn't hide.
He tossed some poly plumbing too. I'll take some of that-- I know it'll do.
What ever does this seem to you? I'm a whistle addict through and through!
Hey now what do you think of brass? I'd say that really has some class!
Or how about some plexiglass? Will this obsession ever pass?
No it will not, and you know it! Now I have to learn to blow it.
Where is all this going to go? Oh, WhOA is me, wouldn't you know!
So come and see my whistle set. No it isn't complete just yet!
I need a Copeland and a Sindt! Christmas is coming...just a hint.
_____Mack Hoover
p.p.s. Yes, for those of you reading the archives, I know that I've changed my thinking in this area. Hey, even a stubborn guy like me can change.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ErikT on 2001-08-04 10:34 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ErikT on 2001-08-04 10:51 ]</font>
Brian Lee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Speaking from experience, I have SEEN all those wonderful whistles Mack refers to! In fact I've played a lot of them too! He's even got one now made from an arrow shaft! It's tuneable, and the ultimate narrow bore. It's diameter is about the same as a pencil! It's ultra-quiet, but it plays and is about the purest tone I've ever heard!

I THINK the tube is aluminum in that case, but don't quote me!

Bri~
Whistleworks

Post by Whistleworks »

You ask a very good question. The opinions of brass vs. nickel vs. silver vs. aluminum vs. wood, vs. plastic vs. bone vs. gold etc. will be as different as the people who make the comments. The most important issue is whether or not the sound is pleasing to YOU. Until lately, I swore by my silver Copeland high D. Nothing could touch it, in my opinion. Then, Mike Burke makes this high D in aluminum and it just blew me away. Now you will no doubt hear from some that I am insane since silver is so much "better" than aluminum, but it is the player's ear that counts. If you can, find several examples of the instruments and play them before you decide. Just remember that the opinions expressed by those here are personal likes and dislikes.

Good luck on your quest, Kardshark.

Bob Pegritz
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Besides the cosmetics, the tone of brass is reputed to be somewhat warmer and nickel somewhat "brighter" if that helps at all.
John Allison

Post by John Allison »

I've also found that my brass whistles tend to warm up much quicker in colder rooms/weather while the nickel ones have to stay in the armpits for a while (please don't try to picture that one! :eek: )
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I've pulled the plastic fipple from a nickle tube and put it on a brass tube. The brass sounded "warmer" and mellower to my ears.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Hi Tony,

Here's something to check (if you have calipers or a micrometer) ...are the inner diameters exactly the same? (As little as .01" can change the sound). If not, what you are experiencing as a mellowing of the instrument, may simply be the lowering of the tone.

Something to look at anyway :smile:
Erik