Fiddlin' with my whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TonyaD
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TonyaD »

I am about as new as can be to the whistle thing. Enjoying it immensely, though.

I have read through all the posts on this board (not the archives, though). Lots of great information. Plus I get the humor. Right up my alley. I think I like you guys!

It's a little frustrating to read all the whistle recommendations. You can't really narrow them down, because every whistle seems to have at least one person who considers it a favorite. Sigh.

Based on reviews here and at Chiff and Fipple, I bought a Walton Mellow D at the local Galway Traders Irish Shop. Then I bought a little flute on ebay -- mostly for the tin whistle tune book it came with. Less than $5. It's one of those penny whistle kits from Colonial Williamsburg -- for kids, I think. It has no marks on it, so I don't know who makes it, but it looks kind of like an unadorned original Clark (which I've only seen pictures of). Wood fipple -- seems like really porous, cheap wood, too. Narrows at bottom, seam at back, etc.

Anyway, it actually has a better sound than the Mellow D to my ear. More round tone. In the lower octave, that is. You go up higher and it's very airy sounding, as if the air is escaping somewhere. It was kind of bent up around the fipple. I had to stick a toothpick in there to get any tone at all. Then I found that by moving the wood in and out I could increase and decrease the air sound. But I can't seem to get rid of it.

Does anyone know how to mess around with this thing to improve it? Or maybe know if I should just get a clark -- maybe they have a similar sound, since they have a similar look? Heck, maybe this thing is made by clark and has just suffered from some kid banging it around.

Thanks in advance. And nice to meet you.
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

You're gonna hate me for this! :smile:

I'd suggest you don't worry with that particular whistle, and just get a new one. My favorites for playability right out of the box are Oak, Walton's and Generations. They've all needed just a bit of sanding on the blade to round it off from the sharp edge they come with, but otherwise, they should do you fairly well.

The nice thing with the plastic mouthpieces is also the fact that they're practicly indestructabe! Hope this helps and doesn't confuse you more. The best thing about this instrument is that for under 20$, you can get two or three to try out all at once!

We'll all be awaiting your progress reports! Keep us posted as to how you're doing...and WELCOME!

Brian~
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

That nekkid metal whistle would be a Cooperman, I believe. Actually, not a bad whistle. Some of that airiness is just a characteristic of that simple style of whistle. Enjoy it for what it is. Best cheapie whistle IMHO is the Clarke Sweetone.Now, for expensive whistles....