three cheers for Tony Dixon

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Blaine McArthur
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Blaine McArthur »

We may as well get the discussion about Tony Dixon whistles into its own thread.

At the moment the only Tony Dixon I have is a Low F. I am relatively new to the whistle scene, so I can not provide any credible commentary on it other than to say I like it alot!

(I went with the Low F based on Dale's advice about making the move from Soprano whistle to the Low whistle a little eaier. I adjusted to the longer stretch and the piper grip in no time at all. Thanks Dale.)

Anyway, having played the Low F for about 3 or 4 months now, I think I am ready to move up to a Low D, and I will probably go with the Tony Dixon again (Low D duo).

I have a Tony Dixon tunable Soprano D piccolo on order, and expect to receive it today or tomorrow.

I might note here that the Whistle Shop also now carries Tony Dixon whistles; at least the Soprano D, tunable and non-tunable and the Low D in tunable, non-tunable and "dual head" versions.

Blaine
DrGiggles

Post by DrGiggles »

Actually, it was Thom at the Whistle Shop that introduced me to the Dixon. I mentioned how much I love the Susato, and he recommended that I get a Dixon. Since getting the Dixon, the Susato's been sitting in my Desk drawer. In fact, I'm expecting my "spare" Dixon to be delivered on Monday or Tuesday next week.

I'm thinking about getting the low D Duo. However, I play with Drummers, and other instruments and my Chieftain Low D gets blown away (without a mic - with a microphone it really sounds cool). With the Whistle, fife, and piccolo, I can hold my own in the 2nd and 3rd octaves.

Fiber - Man's best Friend!
-Frank
Blaine McArthur

Now I get it - I did not connect Thom and the Whistle Shop..... (Now I do)

Although was strongly leaning towards Tony Dixon anyway, economics and timeliness were also significant factors in my decision to go with the Dixon Low D. I have considered McHaffie, but the two to three month wait is more than I can endure right now. I want my whistle and I want it NOW!

Perhaps once I've another dozen whistles or so, I will be content to wait two or three month (or even years for a Sindt?)

As for the Chiefton or Overton, or other high-end metal whistles, I am sure I will eventually get one, but I am completely satisfied with my "plasticwhistle."

I have exchanged a couple of e-mails with Tony and found him to a a rather pleasant fellow. I expect to be playing Tony Dixon whistles for a long long time.

Blaine
Jose Ortega y Gasset
FairEmma

Post by FairEmma »

My two cents added:

Tony Dixon makes lovely whistles! I have his Low D (didn't get the accompanying flute mouth piece) and the tunable High D (did get the piccolo mouthpiece). I also have a non-tunable High D. All three are dreamy-sounding, with just the right amount of that ineffable whistly quality.

There is a slight difference in tone between the tunable and non-tunable, but so little as not to make much difference. The tunable, however, gives a good range of tunability before the tone falls off, which makes it great for ensemble work.

Best of all, for those weaker-of-heart blowing hard in the upper registers, Dixon whistles are a bit more sympathetic.

I have Susatos (love-hate relationship there), but have foresaken them one and all. Fickle me. My Dixon goes everywhere with me!

Tony is a wonderful chap to speak or correspond with as well. And it is great to hear Whistle Stop is carrying his creations, as carriage from the UK costs nearly as much as the whistle itself!

My best advice: Just Do It!!

FE
DrGiggles

Post by DrGiggles »

Okay, now I'm curious... What is this love/hate relationship with Susato's? Did the Bb and D have a steamy love affair, and so the G got jealous??

Also, what differences did you notice between the tunable vs the non-tunable Dixons? I've only bought the tunable (since I do play with other musicians). But hey! If the quality is as good as the tunables, and at $16 a pop, I can have them everywhere! :smile:

A side question: How do you lube your tube? More appropriately, Susato recommends Vaseline or Cork Grease. I just received a note from Mr Dixon that he uses a Silicone Grease... has anyone compared these, or am I just obsessive?

Flight of the Bumble-Whistle, fact or fiction? :smile:
Blaine McArthur

My own Susatos are involved in a three way afair - D, C and Bb - and they are all trying to share a single mouthpiece. Oh, for the squabbles it has created.

But of course they all feel rather neglected now that Mr Dixon's wonderful whistles have entered my life.

Oh yeah, cork grease .... good old fashioned Herco's cork grease (stolen as needed from my daughter's clarinet case) is what I use.

Blaine
FairEmma

Post by FairEmma »

Darling Giggles,

Now that was cute!

Tunable versus non-tunable: Between my two the non-tunable has the edge on chiff - though probably not statistically significant - and possesses a teensy bit more of a "reedy" quality. This may be a plus for some. I am drawn to a clearer tone, so I have to say I favour the tunable by ever so slight a margin.

That said, I've found two whistles of the same manufacture can sound different - sometimes markedly so. Ergo, this is simply a statement about the two Dixons I have in my possession. (How's that for protective caveating? :smile:)

Lubes: I have yet to consider the options of lubricants suggested by my Susatos' stormy affairs, but for polymer and plastic instruments, I use "recorder cream" (very easy to come by). This is because I play recorders professionally and have loads of the stuff around. I am told one shouldn't use cork grease (which lubricates and maintains the suppleness of cork joints in wooden winds) on "plastics," as this can lead to some sort of deteriorating effect. Now, I have not subjected this premise to scientific scrutiny. It is merely hear-say. So we're not talking "horse's mouth" here.

FE
Blaine McArthur

The little fingering chart/care and maintenance manual that came with my Susatos suggested the use of cork grease. I know that some petroleum based lubricants will cause deterioration of the rubber O-ring.
Maybe I should switch to some kind o silicon based lubricant. Time to e-mail Mr Dixon again....

I am also curious about Something I read recently regarding taking apart tunable whistles. I do not recall the particulars, but it essentially said they should not be completely separated too often.
Jose Ortega y Gasset
DrGiggles

Post by DrGiggles »

I would think that since the Dixon has the option of multiple head types, and the susato (as well as others) share headpieces among different bodies - I would think that taking the whistle apart is relatively safe - presuming you take some caution (ie. Twisting while pulling, firm grip on both parts, etc.).