Music Books: Trying to Decide....

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Lori Peters
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lori Peters »

Hi everyone,

I guess I either have alot of questions...or I'm in need of adult conversation! :smile:

I am looking for a good all around irish music book...I've got 2 I've seen on ebay that I'm thinking about. They are the Irish Session Tune Book, or the Celtic Fake Book...both are about the same price. Is it good to have music that everyone can play together, or do you like music written specifically for the whistle??

I used to have a penny whistle book that I loved (until someone stole it!) and I can't for the life of me remember who it was by. It had a closeup b&w picture of the author sitting whistling on a hill, and it looked to be taken in the 70's (maybe!), the longish hair and bellbottoms gave me that idea, I could be wrong!

Any advice on good music books...specifically whistle or otherwise appreciated, also reviews on these ebay books would be good, thanks!
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Most session tunes are playable on the whistle -- otherwise they wouldn't be session tunes. This is because pipes, whistles and flutes have basically the same limitations as to range and keys (that is, tonality), although flutes, depending on what keys they have (that is, keys for closing holes), can be a little more flexible with regard to keys (the first kind).

Fiddles, banjos and accordions can go lower than whistles and can play tunes in whistle-unfriendly keys. But most session collections won't have a huge number of such tunes.
I used to have a penny whistle book ... I can't for the life of me remember who it was by. It had a closeup b&w picture of the author sitting whistling on a hill, and it looked to be taken in the 70's (maybe!), the longish hair and bellbottoms gave me that idea, I could be wrong!
Sounds suspiciously like Robin Williamson and his pennywhistle book to me!

I'll let other members recommend particular books (I have a pretty good idea of what they'll be...) because I'd really really encourage you to, yes, learn by ear. But let's not go there again.
Kelhorn Mike

Post by Kelhorn Mike »

Hi,
The book you lost by your description
was probably "The Pennywhistle Book"
by Robin Williams. Still in print and
available.

Mike
LeeMarsh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

Lori,

Tune books that I have and use:

110 Irelands Best Slow Airs.
110 Irelands Best Sessions Tunes.
Both are by Melbay and can be purchased with the CD sets that that are available for them.
You can get them through <a href=http://www.thewhistleshop.com>The Whistle Shop</a>

Another book that won't cost you anything but printing costs is <a href=http://members.home.com/eskin/tunebook.html>The Blarney Pub Sessions Tune book</a> that you can find on <a href=http://members.home.com/eskin/index.html> Michael Eskin's site </a>. He's a regular around here and the tune book in cool in that it present the tunes in session format of sets. Most of the time in a session tunes are played in groups of 2 or 3 tunes, each played through 3 times. Putting tunes togeather in a set is an art and having a good set can really enrich each of the tunes.

My final recommendation, is to check around with the folks you're most likely to play with. You may find that they have a wide range of books; but, you may also find that they all have one or two that seem to be the local standard.

Good luck and ...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LeeMarsh on 2001-08-03 14:26 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LeeMarsh on 2001-08-03 14:27 ]</font>
Lori Peters

Post by Lori Peters »

Oh yes, I play by ear...would just like to have a book of said music for others in my family who play various things, whistle or not...and for myself to actually LEARN and KNOW a song. It seems I can't "drum up" songs in my head until I hear them, then I can pick up the whistle and play....realizing that I've heard this song before, and why the heck haven't I played it yet?? I'm sure you know what I mean :grin:

When I was anticipating my whistle coming after having not had one for 5 years...I had a dream about the Titanic song...guess which song I played immediately upon opening my new whistle?? You guessed it :smile: No music needed...

You are right about that book! It IS Robin Williamson, thanks!
Ron Rowe

Post by Ron Rowe »

I have a big loose leaf notebook divided up into sections Lori, jigs, rells, aires, ect.
I download sheet music for tunes I have heard and like and keep it in there, when I want to look at a tune while playing I stand the note book up and clip the tune to the cover, instant music stand! And this way I don't have to empty 4 cans of Guiness before I play to weigh down the corners of a book
Lori Peters

Post by Lori Peters »

And this way I don't have to empty 4 cans of Guiness before I play to weigh down the corners of a book
And this would be a bad thing?? LOL!