Most top whistle players are not...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Ron Rowe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ron Rowe »

Tony,
Is the Martin Hayes you mentioned Martin Hayes from the Chieftains?
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

A couple of years ago I was talking to a whistle player from around these parts, meaning she is French-speaking, and she was raving about a fiddle player whose album she'd been listening to. Martinez, his name was. Oh, I said, I've never heard of him, thinking, maybe he's Mexican or something. Does he play Irish music?. Oh yes, she said, you must have heard of him, his name's Martinez, and he's really famous.

No, I don't think so... she kept repeating his name, and then the penny started to drop.

Martinez,
Martinez,
Martinez = Martin <b>Ezz</b>.
Bingo! Martin <b>HHHHayes</b>. I hurt myself laughing at the confusion, and I've got good mileage out of the story since.

BTW Ron I think you're thinking of Martin Fay. Has Mark_J by any chance had you sampling his homebrew? I've noticed it induces temporary dyslexia.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Did I say Martin Hayes? I meant to say Martinez. Actually, it's Mark Days. Wait a minute, let me check the cd.
Oh, it is Martin Hayes.
Look his name up on amazon or half.com and a bushy-haired guy with a Mona Lisa smile will pop up on your screen. That would be your man. I think his first cd is just called Martin Hayes and has his face big on the cover. Under the Moon is a dark blue cd. No, he was never with the Chieftains, at least not on their recordings that I know of. They've played with quite a few performers, so you never know. I hope after pumping him up in my last post you like his playing.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Ron Rowe

Post by Ron Rowe »

you are of course right Steve, I was thinking (or trying to at least) of Martin Fay. I am going senile I think, now where did I put thosr paper dolls I was cutting out?
paulsdad

Post by paulsdad »

Maybe the whistle isn't regarded as a serious instrument (mostly by musicians who don't play it) because it is less dependent on the player's embouchure than most other woodwinds are. Also possibly because it is a melody instrument and not really equipped for playing sharps and flats.

My personal opinion is that the whistle is darn difficult to play well...at least as hard (for different reasons) as more complex instruments.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: paulsdad on 2001-08-09 18:29 ]</font>