First Session

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
LKtz
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by LKtz »

Hi everyone,
In two weeks I am going to be attending my first real session, where I will be playing at. It's put on my a group called Slow-Players. I was wondering if anyone has any tips for sessions or if anyone has ever been to a session put on by Slow-Players.

Thanks!
Caryn
Whistlepeg

Post by Whistlepeg »

Caryn,
Congratulations on your first session experience. Don't worry about it, these things have a way of working out and I'm sure you will have lots of fun.
Sue
Blaine McArthur

Post by Blaine McArthur »

I have tried a couple of times to get a "SlowPlayers" seisun going here in Fresno, but there has so far not been much interest. Michael Duffy, one of the original founders has been pretty helpful and supportive. It is probably time to get in touch with him again.

As the name suggests, the emphasis is on slow playing. Most, but not all, of the participants are new to the tradition, and are in the process of learning the tunes. They intentionally play the tunes at slow speed, as a group, in order to learn them. I think it is a great concept and probably a great way to learn the tunes. I think you will find it most enjoyable. It is supposed to give you that session atmosophere without the intimidation that a beginner might otherwise feel.

Blaine
Jose Ortega y Gasset
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I attend a SlowPlayers session in the San Francisco East Bay Area. We usually meet in Berkeley or near there. It's a very casual atmosphere with a wide variety of skill levels. Everyone is supported in their participation. We play a tune slowly so everyone can join in and then fast if some people are feeling their oats. (Mmm, munch, munch.) You can even bring your music books and no one will frown or raise eyebrows. Our group exchanges a lot of emails, trades abc's, and even posts mp3's on a members-only website for practice purposes. We've voted on tune lists to practice, we loan each other cd's. The group fosters a real learning environment. And, it's anarchic. Good luck, I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself.
Tony
Blaine McArthur

Post by Blaine McArthur »

Tony, Mike Duffy mentioned to me last spring that they were attempting to put together a CD of tunes the seisuns played. Do you know if this came together?

Blaine
Jose Ortega y Gasset
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Blaine,
Something of the sort is in the works. I'll update you later by email.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
andy

Post by andy »

Hi LKtz
I have my first session tommorrow night, and im quite nervous. Were only playing three pieces:: DROWSY MAGGIE
BLARNEY PILGRIM
THE KESH JIG
But the experience will be great and will push me towards bigger and better musical whistle projects.

Just hope i can remeber to breathe, whenever i get a little flustered i stop breathing and consequently muck it up.
All the best Andy
Whistleworks

Post by Whistleworks »

I am delighted that you are attending your first session. As others have very accurately pointed out, the purpose for a slow players session is to play slow to allow you to learn the tune. If you have not invested in a cheap micro cassette recorder, I would highly recommend it. This way, you can take the tunes home with you to learn at your own pace. And, the suggestion of taking books with you is a good one if you read music, but try to eventually learn the tunes by ear. In my teachings to new whistle players, the enemy of the ear is the eye. Remember this above anything else: you are MOST welcome at these sessions by virtue of simply liking the music. If you struggle through a tune, no problem. We all have been there. Just keep at it and you will reap the benefits of playing tunes with people who will no doubt become your good friends. I play in a Thursday night session and would like to be related to all of the 15 or so players in the group. That's how nice they are. OK, one more thing. L.E. McCullough has made a four CD set of tunes along with a music book called "121 Favorite Irish Session Tunes". I have it and I will tell you that I regard it almost as highly as holy scripture. Each tune is played slowly and without ornaments so that you can learn them. Then, the tune is played at a rather "normal" speed. This set of tunes is literally essential for anyone new to sessions. Even if you learn 10 of these tunes, you will hold your own in sessions around the world. But remember, the musicians at a session will respect you even if you struggle through just one tune. They will appreciate your enthusiasm and will support you. If they do not or tend to shun you away, then that group is not worthy of a good person such as yourself.

Good luck to you.

Bob Pegritz
LKtz

Post by LKtz »

Thanks so much for everyones advice!