"as new" all metal Generation Bflat from Ebay.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ecadre
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"as new" all metal Generation Bflat from Ebay.

Post by ecadre »

I just bought an old all-metal "as new" Generation B flat whistle on Ebay. It was one of a batch, and there are a couple more to be sold on the Ebay listing.

Fortunately I wasn't really interested in a new B flat as such. I've played and loved Generation whistles all my life and seeing this older design in basically mint condition for 8 quid just appealed to me. I wasn't even sure that it did not have a lead block (it hasn't), so I wasn't overly bothered about it being playable.

Does it play? Yes, but if you want a decent B flat whistle I'd buy a new Generation (or try to get one of the older plastic headed ones like mine). It takes a very light touch. The bell note is pretty weak and you have to play it *really* spot on through the first register. There's more back pressure than you'd get from a modern Generation. The upper register plays better, though it overall has a quieter, less full, thinner (shrill?) sound compared to the later Generations. And more air noise.

None of this is very surprising I think, given its design. For me it's more of a fun novelty (which I expected) rather than a whistle I'd take out anywhere to play.

Anyway, a few pics.

Last edited by ecadre on Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ecadre
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: "as new" all metal Generation Bflat from Ebay.

Post by ecadre »

I'm guessing that this is from sometime in the 1950s. The label, lack of lead plug and the engraved ring that seem to be on much older Generation whistles seem to point to to the 1950s?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Very nice, I want one :P

1950s seem right, just before they went plastic.

Interesting enough, the earlier plastic head ones appear to have had a decorated tube, like the older ones.

[add:]

Last night I couldn't find the listing as it doesn't show up on ebay.ie. Found it on ebay.co.uk earlier today and I managed to snaffle the last one . The whistle is in the North but seller will post from Dundalk to save hassle. Home and dry for €15 incl postage.
My brain hurts

ecadre

Post by ecadre »

Ah, yes, I had meant to post the link to the Ebay listing last night ... but I forgot because I was tired and I went to bed :-D

Anyway, you were perfectly capable of finding it for yourself, and good on the seller for posting from Dundalk.

Mine has "improved" over the last day. I've got more used to the breath needed, and the fact it has to be fully warmed up before playing or else it will, um, play up. I also gave it the diluted washing-up liquid treatment.

The whole whistle turns out to be rather sharp, 20 to 40 cents on each note, and you can't "back off" to bring it into tune as it will simply stop working. It's basically in tune with itself, though. It may find a place for some late night whistle noodling/playing as I'm starting to quite enjoy playing it.

All in all I'm glad Generation whistles evolved with plastic heads.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The whole whistle turns out to be rather sharp, 20 to 40 cents on each note
That can possibly tell you something about the age of the whistle. Some older whistles appear to have been tuned to a pitch standard other than A-440 (possibly A=456, which I believe was of that time and place), the earliest ones often nearly a semitone sharp. If you look at the three F whistles in the pic below you can see the one on the far right, the most recent edition of the three, is that little longer than the earlier ones.

All in all I'm glad Generation whistles evolved with plastic heads.

It was definitely an improvement and it is clear why nearly all whistleplayers switched over when they became available.
My brain hurts

Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Mine just arrived. First impressions similar to Andrew's above.
My brain hurts

pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Mr.Gumby wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:40 pm Some older whistles appear to have been tuned to a pitch standard other than A-440 (possibly A=456, which I believe was of that time and place), the earliest ones often nearly a semitone sharp.
Probably Old Phiharmonic Pitch A=452 which was the standard orchestral pitch in the UK in the 19th century.

It's why you'll see old wooden flutes with the headjoint pulled out so far.

The 1920s and 30s were the heyday of the Saxophone here in the USA and many were built to Old Philharmonic Pitch.

It's why many old Saxes are stamped "LP" meaning "Low Pitch" or A=440.

Yes it's pretty much in the middle between A and Bb, or D and Eb if one is thinking wood flutes, D whistles, and Concert chanters.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle