Drilling Furniture grade PVC

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
brennacorbit
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have been a flute player since the 1970s and since then I have accumulated many types of flutes from around the world. I also make some of my own flutes and I am still learning. Recently Arabic flutes are very interesting to me, especially the ney. I hope being a member will bring me to a better understanding of flutes and a place where I can share my own accumulated knowledge.

Drilling Furniture grade PVC

Post by brennacorbit »

Lately I have been making flutes out of furniture grade PVC. In the recent past I always turned my nose up at PVC flutes. However in terms of trying to find materials such as good elder, reeds, and bamboos, PVC has been really great to work with. The biggest challenge is drilling sound holes. Currently, I am using twist bits, and I have to start with the smallest bit and work my way up to the desired size hole, but it often leaves an ugly hole that I usually have to file into a better shape. I am wondering if it would be better to use brad pointed bits or forstner bits. Will they make a clean hole? Thank you.
JackL
Tell us something.: I have been involved with music starting with piano in 1st grade, switched to organ in 6th grade and minored in music (organ) in college. I have become interested in tin whistle and already have a case of whistle acquisition disease.

Re: Drilling Furniture grade PVC

Post by JackL »

I would put a wooden dowel (same diameter as the inside diameter of the PVC pipe) into the pipe for support and to help give a cleaner cut. Then I would drill a pilot hole (1/8"?) and use the right sized Forstner bit needed for that hole. A pilot hole will keep the Forstner bit from wandering on the curved surface.
Moof
Tell us something.: My motto: If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing badly. (Fortunately, as otherwise I'd never be allowed near a musical instrument.)

Post by Moof »

A guy I used to work with often had to drill PVC pipes to make frames for theatrical props, and also make entire props out of PVC that were later painted up to resemble something else.

He always used cone bits, and if it needed to be a neat hole, he'd use a cone bit with the maximum diameter the same size as the desired hole. He even had a number of bits he'd adapted for the purpose, grinding down the surplus flare on an oversized cone if he couldn't find one the right size.

Might not be useful, since it's only worth investing time and effort in something you have to do often, but he produced very neat work.
David Cooper
Tell us something.: I'm about to have a go at making wooden flutes based on a quena - I want to experiment with changing the hole sizes and locations to make one that's more comfortable to play. I just received an auger through the post today, and there are blown-down trees in the garden waiting to be repurposed, so I'll try to make a start on my first prototype at the weekend.

Post by David Cooper »

I use these burrs for drilling holes on both wooden and epoxy flutes (which are probably similar to PVC in the way they drill) with a Dremel: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hakkin-Woodwor ... B09Q8LKZ1C - I use a sharp pointed one for making the initial hole after making a small dent for it in the right location using the tip of a sharp knife which I rotate a few times. The burr jumps inwards suddenly once it's gone through the wall, so you need to put something into the tube to stop it marking the opposite side of the bore. I then switch to a cylindrical burr to widen the hole and work in circles while also tuning the hole. My holes rarely end up completely circular, but their edges are neat. If you want perfect circles you could rig up a system to put the shaft of the burr through a template to confine its range of movement with the flute and template clamped firmly in place. I stopped using normal drill bits because they made a mess of things too many times, and I personally don't mind not having perfect circles as I like the hand-crafted look.

The burrs are still overly aggressive, so it would be good to have something a bit less so. If I had more money to fling at tools, I'd try these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grinding-Diamo ... B09MDBYWB5 - they're likely still more aggressive that would be ideal, but without being more so when rotating one way than the other. If the Dremel could run backwards the set of burrs that I have would be perfect.