Busking in Boston?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jim stone

Busking in Boston?

Post by jim stone »

OK, I'm broke. It occurs to me that I can take the
commuter train from Providence to Boston
and busk on the street. Probably fatter pickings
there than in Providence, and I qualify for the
senior fare.

Anybody have any advice about where to go?
How it's done? Anybody tried the subways?
Anything about how it works would be welcome.

Thanks.
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

I have this vague memory that I once heard you have to have a license to busk in Boston? It might have been a specific area of Boston, or it might be out-of-date -- this was probably a decade ago. But it might be worth checking out before learning the hard way.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Check with Royer. www.guitarmachine.com I watched him busking in Boston at the square.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Busking in Boston was a real hassle in recent years, and the cops would boot you from many public places. Some laws were revisited (I don't think any were changed, just the interpretation) last year, and a somewhat uneasy truce between buskers and police has been holding. It's an unusual situation.

I haven't Busked here yet, as I've been too busy with other things, so I can't make suggestions on where the money is. However, keep in mind that this is the home Berklee, and The New England Conservatory of Music, so the level of talent out there on the street is, typically, much higher than you'd find in most other U.S. cities. There are certainly less skilled players to be found around, but to be honest, I don't usually see them getting much love. You might want to keep that in mind, when checking out what the train fare to and from the city is.

Loren
Jack Bradshaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Just my opinion, but it seems the pickings would be better in Providence ?

:-?

Edit: It occurs to me that those regulars (over a long period) I've seen have a deal w/ an establishment to busk out front w/ an eye to getting the place noticed while foot traffic is "delayed".
Last edited by Jack Bradshaw on Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Loren wrote:Busking in Boston was a real hassle in recent years, and the cops would boot you from many public places. Some laws were revisited (I don't think any were changed, just the interpretation) last year, and a somewhat uneasy truce between buskers and police has been holding. It's an unusual situation.

I haven't Busked here yet, as I've been too busy with other things, so I can't make suggestions on where the money is. However, keep in mind that this is the home Berklee, and The New England Conservatory of Music, so the level of talent out there on the street is, typically, much higher than you'd find in most other U.S. cities. There are certainly less skilled players to be found around, but to be honest, I don't usually see them getting much love. You might want to keep that in mind, when checking out what the train fare to and from the city is.

Loren
I was in Boston a couple of months ago; played on the
street in Cambridge (was stopped by hypothermia).

Yes, the level of musicianship there is extraordinary.
There was a black guy playing blues on a keyboard
and singing on a subway station. Jeez, he was good.

Amazing how good a musician can be and still
be nobody.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

A friend once told me "musicians are always liked but seldom respected" My one and only busking session was interesting - pulled a few dollars, but the vibe from folks was way interesting - like a little window popped open in them just wide enough for the coin to get tossed through, then snapped shut like a mouse-trap.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

It's an interesting experience, cause there I am at the bottom
of the totem pole, playing for tips on the street.
Humbling, which is good. About an hour in or so,
I get so hyperventilated that I stop caring about
anything, blissed out; I can even play the flute!
bigpow5

Post by bigpow5 »

The big money is to be made at the Red Line Park Street T stop. Hit it during commuter hours. :)
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

A couple years ago I went to a summer program at Berklee. While I was there I took my Mandolin (this was back before I was into Whistle and Flute as much as I am now) out on the street. I made a grand total of about 3 dollars in about an hour, I have made more in the local shopping mall. My advice, avoid the Back Bay. That is the advice I got from a busker on the street the next day in nearly the same spot. He told me that Quincy was the best busking spot.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Thanks all.