dixon duo head low whistle / flute

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
bradster

dixon duo head low whistle / flute

Post by bradster »

Hi folks,

Can anyone recommend getting the Dixon Low whistle / flute combo as one item or buying each separately?
A tuneable whistle and tuneable flute separately would cost a bit more but not a drastic amount if it means better quality.

Thanks!
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

I don't suggest a dixon flute. If you're going to get a PVC flute, call Mr. Doug Tipple.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
bradster

Post by bradster »

cheers,
i know its a cheapo but i figured seeing as i wanted a 'beginner' low whistle and 'beginner' flute it maybe was a good deal.
Save on postage too!
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

The Dixon might be a beginner flute if it were slightly more... playable. I reiterate my suggestion of a Tipple, and I supply you with a website.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Congratulations wrote:The Dixon might be a beginner flute if it were slightly more... playable. I reiterate my suggestion of a Tipple, and I supply you with a website.
Been there, done that, absolutely second that !
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
pop

Post by pop »

[''Can anyone recommend getting the Dixon Low whistle / flute combo as one item or buying each separately?
A tuneable whistle and tuneable flute separately would cost a bit more but not a drastic amount if it means better quality. '']

I almost took this route,now im confused i can spend 100 uk i want to start and try and get the hang of a lower whistle,i want a new one and was thinking F or most probably G.any recomendations and comments for a newbish would be most welcome,i am seriously thinking about one of phil hardys non tuneable F orGs.Any other brands or makes i ought to consider.and should i be realy be looking for a cheaper tuneable
thanks in advance pop

ps hands aint that big quite small
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

Congratulations wrote:I don't suggest a dixon flute. If you're going to get a PVC flute, call Mr. Doug Tipple.

I agree.

The Dixon flute isn't <koff! koff!> all that wonderful.

Mr. Tipple is the way to go, or possibly one of Hammy Hamilton's practice flutes from Doc Jones at the Irish Flute Store.
Bradster wrote:i know its a cheapo but i figured seeing as i wanted a 'beginner' low whistle and 'beginner' flute it maybe was a good deal.
Save on postage too!
Yes, but if it's unplayable except by experts, and even then has some serious limits, what good is it going to be to you? Other than driving you away from learning to play the flute!
WhistlinBob

Post by WhistlinBob »

Good luck getting one they are tough to come by here in the states
a one anda two anda three. I would like you to meet my whistle instructer Charles.

[A bad day of Whistlin is better than
any day at work!!!]
Foozwah
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: dixon duo head low whistle / flute

Post by Foozwah »

bradster wrote: Can anyone recommend getting the Dixon Low whistle / flute combo as one item or buying each separately?
A tuneable whistle and tuneable flute separately would cost a bit more but not a drastic amount if it means better quality.
I've got this whistle/flute combo, and my experience has been that as a low whistle it's okay - a different (not bad, just different) sound to my Chieftain and Howard low Ds, quite 'sweet' in the upper register, though as a downside I find it far too easy to overblow in the lower and accidentally jump the octave.

The flute head is a nice idea that unfortunately doesn't really work very well...
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

make your own flute. doug's directions rock. thanks doug.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
piedwhistler

Post by piedwhistler »

Sorry if this is beating a dead horse. I am not very fond of the dixon low D eaither. I guess it has a good tone, but it takes A LOT of air and it is VERY quiet. But, it does have a nice high range (when you can hear it :o ), the holes are small, and the reach to the last hole isn't that bad. If you want a low D to start out on, I can't really recomend this one. Thats what I did and gave up for two years. Now, I am looking into an Overton. One avenue you could try is Doc Jones' web page. He sells used instuments (that are in good shape) and he is very good about helping you find the flute/whistle that works for you:
http://irishflutestore.com/
Hope this helps! Good luck! :D

p.s.
I have found that it is better to break the bank a little and get a decent instrument to start out on as opposed to spending only a little and get something that is a pain the play.
Parkwood

Post by Parkwood »

Pop - I'd suggest looking at a Susato low F as it's a good quality low whistle, tuneable and has great intonation. I've owned low Susatos in G, F, Eb and D - the F and Eb are great (I've kept both of these!)

If you're ever in London see if you can try one at Hobgoblin.

Failing that I'd suggest a tuneable Dixon polymer low D which has a short stretch.

Barry
pop

Post by pop »

cheers for that,i was also looking at the susato d,c,Bb set,i havent bought the low yet either[tuesday] and as for driving down to hobgoblin its happening tuesday,the price of the susato F is very tempting,only downside i can see is its american made :wink:
regards pop
Last edited by pop on Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy

Re: dixon duo head low whistle / flute

Post by Tommy »

Foozwah wrote:
bradster wrote: Can anyone recommend getting the Dixon Low whistle / flute combo as one item or buying each separately?
I've got this whistle/flute combo, and my experience has been that as a low whistle it's okay - a different (not bad, just different) sound to my Chieftain and Howard low Ds, quite 'sweet' in the upper register, though as a downside I find it far too easy to overblow in the lower and accidentally jump the octave.
The reason it is sweet in the upper and jumps easy from the lower to the upper is the distance from the windway to the blade is a little close.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086