Review - Reyburn Tunable B Flat Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
dfernandez77
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Review - Reyburn Tunable B Flat Whistle

Post by dfernandez77 »

Material: Black Delrin and Brass Head, Brass Body
Key: B Flat
Case: Cloth drawstring bag
Price: US$140 for the whistle and drawstring bag and US$10 for shipping
URL: http://www.reyburnlowwhistles.com

I'm too lazy to do a full review. But I'll post some pics and a sound clip of my new whistle.

I'm yet a much better photographer than whistle player - and a mediocre whistle player.

Summary Review:
It Rocks Dude! Pics and clip back me up.

Sound Sample:
My hack playing of a simple tune in the low octave, and a rough bit of Spanish Lady.
http://members.cox.net/tofutaco/Whistle/Reyburn_Bb.mp3
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Review - Reyburn Tunable B Flat Whistle

Post by raindog1970 »

dfernandez77 wrote:Sound Sample:
My hack playing of a simple tune in the low octave, and a rough bit of Spanish Lady.
http://members.cox.net/tofutaco/Whistle/Reyburn_Bb.mp3
That first tune is 'Raglan Road' or 'The Dawning of the Day'.
Nice pics... I really like the look of the thicker brass tubing.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
Mr.Nate
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Reyburn tunable b flat

Post by Mr.Nate »

Great review!

The pictures and sound clip say it all!

Oh, great recording BTW! I can imagine that the whistle sounds exactly how it came through my computer! Very clear and precise!

Thanks!

Nate
Whistling in the Rockies!!
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

raindog1970 wrote:That first tune is 'Raglan Road' or 'The Dawning of the Day'.
Nice pics... I really like the look of the thicker brass tubing.
Oh yeah, I forgot to "name that tune." :)

Actually, the tube is thicker at the end, probably to make it more durable if dropped or something. It looks like Ronaldo Rayburn brazed a brass shim on the inside of the tube at the end and finished it off very nicely. Ronaldo has terrific attention to the details.
Mr.Nate wrote:Oh, great recording BTW! I can imagine that the whistle sounds exactly how it came through my computer! Very clear and precise!
Thanks for the nice comments. I record using a fairly accurate studio condenser microphone, Sony Sound Forge, and no processing. It should be pretty close to what the whistle actually sounds like when I play it. With a better player it should sound even better. :thumbsup:
Daniel

Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Re: Review - Reyburn Tunable B Flat Whistle

Post by Bretton »

raindog1970 wrote: Nice pics... I really like the look of the thicker brass tubing.
You should get some and do a brass Journeyman!

:)
shadeclan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by shadeclan »

Nice sound clip, my friend - beautifully and thoughtfully performed. Beautiful looking whistle. Just a tiny bit too "airy" for my tastes, though.
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Definitely some great pictures of what looks like a very clean and professionally made whistle. Doesn't sound half bad either... Although for such a key, I don't think I could justify spending so much on it. I would like to have it though!!!!! I mean, I use Bb frequently, but, 140$ ain't cheap!

Very nice!

-Eric
Reyburnwhistles

Post by Reyburnwhistles »

For clarification..... The sleeve that is soldered in at the foot is a purturbation used for octave balancing.

Ronaldo
dfernandez77

Post by dfernandez77 »

Key_of_D wrote:Definitely some great pictures of what looks like a very clean and professionally made whistle. Doesn't sound half bad either... Although for such a key, I don't think I could justify spending so much on it. I would like to have it though!!!!! I mean, I use Bb frequently, but, 140$ ain't cheap!

Very nice!

-Eric
Ronaldo's mechanical precision and attention to detail are on the same par as my Overton and Thin Weasel whistles - it doesn't get much better. The standard voicing is great, and he'll tune it for your tastes (more or less wind, chiff, volume, etc). My few Reyburns play full, open, and smooth voiced when I blow them nice - and can be very powerful. I saw someone write about their Reyburn Session whistle something like "you can stun a cat at thirty paces with the volume."

I'd agree that $140 ain't cheap - but you certainly get what you pay for with this whistle. Ronaldo's best value for the money is the Soprano D/C set at US$140 - that's basically US$70 each for effectively two whistles (one head + 2 tubes) in commonly played keys. If you bought the two keys separately they would easily be worth the US$110 each price tag (just my honest opinion). :thumbsup:
Reyburnwhistles wrote:For clarification..... The sleeve that is soldered in at the foot is a purturbation used for octave balancing.

Ronaldo
Well, I stand corrected (actually I'm sitting). That's what I get for guessing the purpose of a feature. :oops:
Daniel

Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Yeah, I agree with you get what you pay for. Never the less, for my budget, 140$ still is a pretty penny, especially for a penny whistle haha...

Anyways, I wouldn't even know where to buy these Reyburns. The Whistle Shop doesn't sell them, yet anyways. I suppose a quick search on the internet might yield some findings eh? As for my tastes, I kinda like my whistles a bit loud, not susato loud, a tiny bit breathy.. almost like a Meg, and with a bit of back pressure. Although I do tend to switch things up a bit and enjoy my very clear Burke DAN. Oh well, nice whistle!
dfernandez77

Post by dfernandez77 »

Key_of_D wrote:I wouldn't even know where to buy these Reyburns.
I'm not a salesman for Ronaldo or anything - but the link to the site is at the beginning of the review.
Daniel

Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

dfernandez77 wrote:
Key_of_D wrote:I wouldn't even know where to buy these Reyburns.
I'm not a salesman for Ronaldo or anything - but the link to the site is at the beginning of the review.
And that would explain how tired I really am..
dfernandez77

Post by dfernandez77 »

I was going to tell you to find a nice soft patch of grass and take a nap in the Phoenix AZ sunshine. Then I noticed you have clouds and rain, like us, until Sunday. Poor guy. :sniffle:
Daniel

Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Well, my yards are full of weeds and dirt, so, no dice there... haha, yeah, for once, we've actually gotten some rain and snow. Yet, they've just alerted us that we are in EXTREME drought conditions... But don't worry about me. I'm fine. :sleep:

-Eric