Looking for a whistle teacher/mentor in/near NW Ct

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
NicksterNM

Post by NicksterNM »

I am quite new to whistles, but was inspired by my "discovery" of the Fine band from Newfoundland, Great Big Sea. So I have been plodding along, doing the Clarke Tin Whistel Book lessons etc. I even took several lesson from a guy at a local music store, but have been less than satisfied. I just dont think the guy likes to play the instrument, and had not for years before the music store told him I was looking to take lessons. I noodle constantly and have learned to play a few tunes with tablituer.

So the question is Do you know of a place I could turn for help? Any ideas would be welcome.
Thanks
Nick
Mark_J
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Mark_J »

You may want to look up Mike McHale in the Catskills. That is not all that far of a trip. I'd travel for about an hour for a Mike McHale lession. Unfortunately, I'm about 5 hours from Mike so that is right out.

Cheers.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Mike McHale would defintely be a great person to get you going. I believe he does classes for beginners as well as advanced players. He shows up at a lot of the Albany Comhaltas sessions and is a terrific flute and whistle player.
BTW-- You are probably not too far from Andy's Front Hall, which is a good place to buy some types of whistle, and lots of tune books and recordings.
If anything ever brings you to the Troy NY area, I would be happy to help inasmuch as I am able.
NicksterNM

Post by NicksterNM »

A)What town in the Catskills is Mike from? B)Have you got more contact info for him?
C) Where is Andy's Front Hall, sound like a good day trip.
D) Thanks!
E) Nick
Mark_J

Post by Mark_J »

Quoting from the November 12, 2000 issue of Chiff & Fipple,

Mike McHale, 6 South Jefferson Avenue, Catskill, NY 12414.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Hi, Nickster! I'm in central CT and looking for the same. Locally there is a nice session in Hartford at City Steam on Wednesday nights, and people there are very supportive. Usually there are two to four people playing whistle/flute/uillean pipes. Fellow by the name of Will (who plays all the above) occasionally comes, and he may be taking on students soon.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
jgrogers

Post by jgrogers »

Mike's number is (518)943-5575. He's a great teacher.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Andys Front Hall is in Voorheesville NY, near Albany. Their website is:http://andysfronthall.com/
I have no commercial interest yadda, yadda.
Call them for hours and directions.
They may have a booth at the Scottish Games on Labor Day weekend, which would DEFINITELY be worth a trip ( Altamont NY, also near Albany). Men hurling heavy objects, good food and beer, major Highland Pipes competition, culminating with a massed pipes procession-- several hundred pipe and drummers, which is an awesome spectacle.
NicksterNM

Post by NicksterNM »

I checked w/mapquest. Catskill is a 3 hr drive, so that is out as an option for lessons. If any one can think of somebody closer I would like to hear from you!
Nick