What's important?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Seriously though Brian, I'm puzzled by your saying you have trouble with double-tonguing in jigs, and then that you tongue every note in fast passages to give a cleaner sound. This seems to be contradictory, or or am I misreading you?
Hi Stevie,

I guess I should have been more specific, and again not to detract from the overall topic TOO far here :smile: but I don't think I tounge *every* note in jigs, and I believe I have worked out the tounging of that last two notes in jigs etc.

I guess I struggle with fast double and triple tounging. Sometimes I wonder if a different type of ornamentation such as a roll would work better to break up a note sounded three times rapidly for example.

Anyway, the logistics of this probably belng in a new thread.

Slán!

Brian~
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tyghress »

I've 'studied' a few instruments (piano as a child, hammered dulcimer as an adult) and my best teachers gave the same advice as what is being discussed here. Some other things I've been taught:

When you're just starting out with an instrument, you try to learn too much too fast. Try every week to play EVERY tune you know and improve on your comfort level with them, commit ONE tune to memory, add ONE new tune to your practice repetoire, add or change ornamentation in ONE tune you know well.

Have your instrument out and available to play. (I can't carry my HD around, but it's always set up where I can pass it and take a moment to play a tune. I have one whistle in my handbag, and I play it in the parking lot before going into work, in traffic jams, etc)

Play WITH people, even if you're not "good". You'll be better than anyone who WON'T play with other people. Find a mentor, tutor, or instructor, who can encourage you and maybe show you some neat little twist on a phrase.

Don't do 'exercises'. Exercises are boring. Play tunes with phrases that do the same thing.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Now, as a recorder player, trying to swap over to the whistle, I have to thank every person who reminds me about plateaus, not giving up, and having fun. I hit my first hard plateau just after swearing off the recorder and vowing to play only the whistle, and it took a good month before I didn't have to think about what instrument I was playing as I fingered. I hit another plateau (current) as I try to change my tonguing/slurring. Jigs are most problematical, as I have been doing tongue-slur-slur tongue-slur-slur for as long as I can remember playing ANY wind instrument.

Heck, this isn't a plateau, this is a major, unchecked backslide. I can't play jigs at all right now, it seems, even at the slowest speed. Perhaps I'll try to rewrite them with prominent slurs and marks for tonguing.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

"I can't play jigs at all right now, it seems, even at the slowest speed."

You might consider getting software, such as SlowSpeed CD Transcriber, (ronimusic.com) to play your cd at really slow speed and play along with that. Bump the speed up gradually as you get comfortable. If you hang right with the cd music, you'll get the rhythm. Good luck,
Tony
AnnaDMartinez
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

What's most important to me is having fun with my whistle! Period!
Mick Woodruff

Post by Mick Woodruff »

Thank you one and all for your (sometimes lengthy!) responses. I knew you could be relied on! :smile:<P> As you have pointed out, there are so many things to think about, and to work at, to "get it right", when it comes to playing any musical instrument; the whistle is no different to any other in this respect. For me, the fun and the consoling meditative aspects of playing have always been the most important ones. If playing ever becomes a chore I will just find something else to do...<P>My personal feeling is that if you are drawn to play an instrument, you will learn to play it, no matter what anyone thinks you should be doing with regard to "effective practice". You will learn simply through the power of wanting to do so. And the joy of music is that you never finish learning; there is no end to it; there is always something new to keep you going. :smile:<P>Okay, back to the shadows now! hehehe.<P>Mick
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

"Okay, back to the shadows now! hehehe."
("...my precious.")- Gollum
adriancarrington

Post by adriancarrington »

Rich from Montreal gave a very thoughtful summary in my opinion. Like me he's an ex-pro bass player, and I smiled to myself when he discussed tone....it's kind of an obsession for bass players. The point is very true, though.
Your use of breath can greatly add or detract from the sound you make, and the only way to make progress is by critical listening and a little application. The ability to voice an instrument well is every bit as important as hitting the notes on time, unless you WANT to sound like a midi file..hehe.
Enjoy your learning, be easy on yourself, and I'm sure you'll find your love for this amazing instrument will grow and grow...