first jam/session, help with breathing!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
andy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by andy »

In around 4 days i have my first jam/session,with a guitarist and myself on whistle performing 3 tunes. Im still having problems with breathing , especially if the tune is fast and full of quavers throughout, eg Drowsy Maggie. I run out of breathe or my notes are inconsistant. Can anyone suggest any way of working at this. I try to catch a breathe from my diaphram whenever i come across a crotchet or similar small note/rest.
I guess its a case of performance anxiety!!

Please help me!
brownja

Post by brownja »

My only advice is breathe BEFORE you NEED to. That way, you decide where to take the breath and it can be a small one. If you wait until you need to breathe, you'll be forced to take it at an inappropriate point in the music and it will be a big gushing yawn.
Cheers,
jb
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Breathing before you need to is very good advice. But knowing when to take that breath is a little more complicated. The first piece of advice is to listen - lots! - to traditional flute and whistle players, and see where they breathe. You'll gradually develop an instinct for what works.

That said, there are a few basic rules you can give yourself.

<ul><li>In dance music, you must never, ever hold up the beat while you take a breath. Which means that:</li>
<li>You must either shorten a note, or skip one entirely, in order to take a breath. In jigs, for example, you can often skip the second note in a group of three. You'll need to breathe fast!</li>
<li>Always breathe <b>after</b> a strong or important note in the tune, not before. Breathing before such a note will kill the flow of the tune.</li></ul>

There's more that could be said, but these are good points to start with. And listen carefully to figure out what good players do.

ATB with your performance,
Steve

PS: Ideas for the tune you mentioned, Drowsy Maggie: in the first part, there are a series of crotchet (quarter-note) Es beginning the bars. You can take a breath after any of these notes by converting them into a quaver, snatching a breath, and then continuing with the next note without missing a beat. It may seem surprising, but the way many traditional players would do this would be to breathe after the very first note in the tune - particularly on the 2nd and 3rd time through, etc. In the second part (in the most common version of this tune), the first bar begins with a crotchet D and has a crotchet C# on the 3rd beat. You can safely convert either of these into a quaver and grab a breath there.

HTH,
S

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: StevieJ on 2001-07-31 10:20 ]</font>
andy

Post by andy »

Hi Brownja and StevieJ, thanks for the feedback, ill try and put it into practice. I have a few days before my first "gig" on the whistle , so i better get back to Drowsy Maggie. After the gig, i might start a new post reflecting on a whistlers first gig and how it went and all that.