Another 'which whistle suits my needs' topic

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
RonKiley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by RonKiley »

A few things from what has been said.

1. If you think your whistle is bad have a very experienced player play it and provide an evaluation.

2. If you are new to the whistle give your self some time to learn. The whistle is probably the easiest instrument to pick up and have sucess playing immediatey but it takes a long time to become competent. Some longer than others.

3. There are some very good and consistent whistles out there. That doesn't mean they are easier to play. Many times they require even better breath control.

4. The Humphreys has been mentioned as a very good and intune whistle and it is excellent. The Cn on mine plays perfectly in tune with oxxooo fingering and the right breath pressure.

I remember many years ago I bought a $6.00 used Silvertone guitar. I thought it was terrible and I couldn't get anything out of it that sounded nice. Then one of my friends who was very experienced played it for me. It sounded wonderful. I knew I needed to improve but it didn't prevent me from buying a Martin D28 as soon as I could afford it. No one can decide for someone else what is the best whistle for them. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

BTW I love my Olwell bamboo G flute that I bought new for $35.00.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
dfernandez77
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Dralore wrote:Wow, didn't think a phrase would heat the room like this.
*commencing tongue-in-cheekiness...*

I think sometimes the "heat" comes from the medium (written word) more than the contributor blowing hot air. Unfortunately in this forum all we get to see is the words, which are a poor substitute for kitchen table communication. If we were hanging out at Peter's place with a cup of strong tea, whiskey, or Potcheen in our hand, the conversation would be punctuated with grins, winks, grumpy looks, and nudges.

There's something charming about the gruff and adamant traditionalist, especially one with the credentials and experience that Peter brings to the table. Then again, at the table gruff yet moderate Wombat might poke you in the ribs and whisper, "that's our Peter towing the hard line again."

There's also something charming about someone new at the table. Like a beagle puppy, all ears and eagerness - and ready to chew on any whistle they can get their teeth into. It's great to know someone has the desire to play U2's "How to Dismantle and Atomic Bomb" on a soda straw modified with a paper punch. Some will get up in arms and proclaim "but it's not Trad!", some will pass a kidney stone in a paroxysm of laughter. Regardless - it leads to an evolution of the instrument, which in moderation is not all bad.

I mean really Peter. I think, of anyone here, you would celebrate the evolution of an instrument. If not you'd be standing on a hill, breathing down a blowpipe into a bladder, with the cold wind blowing up your skirt. Instead you can sit in a warm room, in warm breeches with bellows under your arm, smiling and playing at the same time. Ok, I took some editorial license on the history of pipes, and a poke at you in fun, but I think you know what I mean.

So BlackDeath and Dralore; you, and your soda straws and paper punches are welcome at this table. Keep asking good questions and remember the words may be literal, but the environment is congenial.

The guy with the 4 Euro Gen, and the expensive and highly evolved pipes is Peter. Oh, and he's got a CD that I need to buy.

And Wombat, well he's congenial enough here. In the Poststructural Pub however he can be a very articulate and convincing Combat Wombat - watch his teeth.

*whispering* Pay no mind to the fellow in the corner passing a kidney stone in a paroxysm of laughter - it's just me. Though you can absolutely believe what I say about Reyburn whistles. *nudge Peter*

*un-commencing tongue-in-cheekiness...*

Just play - Ok?
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I think there's horses for courses, I am ever so happy to have the Humphrey and the Sindt whistle but somehow the cheap ones do me just fine. I know I get contrary every now and again at one of these 'cheap whistles are unplayable' threads. I have never encountered a totally unplayable Generation type whistles, I have come across several I didn't particularly like for a variety of reasons but never unplayable ones. Two weeks ago I heard a twelve year old play a jig in her whistleclass, slowly but with such perfect timing and intonation I thought it was the teacher playing them their next tune (I was outside waiting for my own youngfella). I measure things by that standard, if a girl like that can learn to play like that on such a whistle what are you guys moaning about? Put in the work and amaze yourself. There's no instant gratification learning to play an instrument (well, maybe learning on a good concertina makes you sound convincing quickly enough)

You won't hear me argue something is 'not traditional', I am all for things improving and developing. You may hear me argue some whistles don't sound suitable in certain contexts: I am always puzzled by the fact that each and every player of Abell whistles I met last year (five or six of them) made their whistles stand out like a sore thumb playing with others. And none of them seemed to notice their second octaves were a mile off because they didn't seem to blow the whistle in the way it needed . So there's expensive whistles for you.

And dfernandez, thanks for ordering the CD, I'll post it off first thing in the morning :-)
LisaD

Post by LisaD »

BlackDeath,

I love my Humphrey narrow bore. I also love my Clarke original (unpainted). The Humphrey journeyman looks intriguing to me. You might want to try that, or else one of Jerry's tweaked whistles.

Lisa
Craig Stuntz

Post by Craig Stuntz »

I think Peter has a really good point which is maybe getting lost in the back and forth. No whistle will pitch-correct for you. While some require more control than others, there is no substitute for listening as you play with any whistle.
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Oh I got the thrust of the point, and you sharpened it well. :D

This is especially true with Classic Clarkes, Shaws, Gens, Tully's and their ilk. Even when naturally well intoned there's a lot of room for expression just in changing air volume.
Last edited by dfernandez77 on Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel

Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Craig Stuntz wrote:I think Peter has a really good point which is maybe getting lost in the back and forth. No whistle will pitch-correct for you. While some require more control than others, there is no substitute for listening as you play with any whistle.
A lot of people forget that blowing an instrument into tune isn't just a whistle thing. You have to learn to blow a saxophone into tune and it isn't easy. It requires the development of a good embouchure but it also requires breath control. That said, a faulty instrument can make this so diffcult that you learn bad habits. I once had a lousy soprano sax that required serious adjustments to breath and embouchure when I changed octaves. When I played better instruments, I had to unlearn things I'd learned. Oddly, the habits I acquired didn't affect my abilty to play in tune on alto or tenor sax.
dfernandez77

Post by dfernandez77 »

dfernandez77 wrote:...Classic Clarkes, Shaws, Gens, Tully's and their ilk.
Oh! I just realized, "ilk" often is interpreted with a negative connotation nowadays. I didn't mean it in a negative way. I actually was referring to the type of whistle on which a note can be played with flexibility of pitch using breath alone. These whistles are challenging in the beginning, but listen to Mary Bergin play a magical and fluid run up an octave and you'll get it.

Ilk - Word History: When one uses ilk, as in the phrase men of his ilk, one is using a word with an ancient pedigree even though the sense of ilk, “kind or sort,” is actually quite recent, having been first recorded at the end of the 18th century. This sense grew out of an older use of ilk in the phrase of that ilk, meaning “of the same place, territorial designation, or name.” This phrase was used chiefly in names of landed families, Guthrie of that ilk meaning “Guthrie of Guthrie.” “Same” is the fundamental meaning of the word. The ancestors of ilk, Old English ilca and Middle English ilke, were common words, usually appearing with such words as the or that, but the word hardly survived the Middle Ages in those uses.
Daniel

River Otter

Post by River Otter »

dfernandez77 wrote:
dfernandez77 wrote:...Classic Clarkes, Shaws, Gens, Tully's and their ilk.
Oh! I just realized, "ilk" often is interpreted with a negative connotation nowadays. I didn't mean it in a negative way. I actually was referring to the type of whistle on which a note can be played with flexibility of pitch using breath alone. These whistles are challenging in the beginning, but listen to Mary Bergin play a magical and fluid run up an octave and you'll get it.

Ilk - Word History: When one uses ilk, as in the phrase men of his ilk, one is using a word with an ancient pedigree even though the sense of ilk, “kind or sort,” is actually quite recent, having been first recorded at the end of the 18th century. This sense grew out of an older use of ilk in the phrase of that ilk, meaning “of the same place, territorial designation, or name.” This phrase was used chiefly in names of landed families, Guthrie of that ilk meaning “Guthrie of Guthrie.” “Same” is the fundamental meaning of the word. The ancestors of ilk, Old English ilca and Middle English ilke, were common words, usually appearing with such words as the or that, but the word hardly survived the Middle Ages in those uses.
Jeez d, cut yourself some slack. Ya know it takes a real scrapper to pick a fight with themselves over their own word choice. I applaud your dogmatism. :)
River Otter
Fortitudine Vincit
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Let me wind this up by going back to the beginning.

Try a $10 Oak.

You won't be out much money, and you just might like it.

Or my other favorite, O'Briain Improved D.

Mary
canpiper

Post by canpiper »

Peter Laban wrote: I have never encountered a totally unplayable Generation type whistles, I have come across several I didn't particularly like for a variety of reasons but never unplayable ones...
Really! I have had two unplayable Generations! Maybe they send all the stinkers to Canada...:)

As usual, I generally agree with Peter though. In fact, I recently bought a mid-range high D (that has received some good reviews on this forum) to replace an old Soodlum I've been useing as my 'carry-everywhere-I-go-in-the-bottom-of-my-bag-whistle', and I have to say I prefer the Soodlum. The mid-range certainly has some traits I appreciate - it is less prone to cracking in the low/mid range, for instance, and it takes less effort to play it for that reason - but the Soodlum is actually more balanced in pitch, volume, and tone throughout. I also have a Feadog that is not too far of the mark either. And neither have been tweaked. There is a lot to be said for just practicing, and getting to know an instrument.
dfernandez77

Post by dfernandez77 »

canpiper wrote: 'carry-everywhere-I-go-in-the-bottom-of-my-bag-whistle'
Can you say "Serpent Village Smithy"?

http://members.cox.net/tofutaco/Whistle ... Smithy.mp3
Daniel

canpiper

Post by canpiper »

Nice! You know, I don't own a PVC whistle, and never thought about how great they would be as a take-every-I-go-in-the-bottom-of-my-bag-whistle. Maybe I should try one of those. Sounds good too. Thanks.
dfernandez77

Post by dfernandez77 »

The Village Smithy is not PVC. It's made from chrome molybdenum alloy tubing. Very nearly indestructible steel. :boggle:

That's one whistle that I will never sell, and it will last for a millennium or two. :D
Daniel

canpiper

Post by canpiper »

Even better! I see that the serpent site is down, but I will get one!