Review on the Laughing Whistle, Please??

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Lori Peters
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lori Peters »

Can anyone who owns a laughing whistle (those telescoping ingenious things) please give me a description on how the sound is....how does it play, quality etc?? I tried to search the archive and it seems that whistle and laughing can mean alot more than the specifics I'm looking for! :smile:

Thanks alot!
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

Searching for "Herbison" or for "Telescoping" in the old forum archives brought up a few threads. Try this one for starters:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/archive/whist ... 54125.html
<ul>-Rich</ul>
kgharper

Post by kgharper »

Lori

when I first got mine (about a year ago), I was a little disappointed. It seemed much cruder than the picture. The edges of the mouth piece and the bottom edge of each tube were unseven, and the clear sealant on the wooden fipple block was rippled. The whistle was difficult to play - it clogged quickly and required so little air that I couldn't get any attack on quick notes at all. I sent it back to Noah who promtly replaced it. The replacement was still lacking in the finish department, but what a difference on playability! It's still prone to clogging but I put up with this for the sound and the practicality. The whistle is on the quiet side, but it has a great sound, very sweet and clear, rather like my Hoover but more so. It's a shame the finish isn't as good as Mack's. The telescoping does produce small scratches on the tubes. Also don't lubricate the joints - makes them too loose. The whistle looks best polished. I found Neverdull works well. The low air requirement took a while to get used to but it's now one of my favourite whistles for paractice and solo playing. I take it everywhere with me. It's a unique concept so I suppose it's allowed to have character.
Digger

Post by Digger »

Lori,

When I received my Laughing Whistle I was impressed by the sweet, pure tone. But I couldn't get through a tune without major clogging problems. The airway was constructed with a polymer clay inside the fipple that tapered the airstream and focused it onto the fipple blade. Noah told me that, without this configuration, the upper register (particularly high A and B) would be shrill. He therefore warned against removing the polymer clay. I began by removing only a little at a time and then playing the whistle for a while to see if the clogging problem had been corrected, trying to find a balance between the tapering of the airstream and a level of clogging that I could live with. I also tried the typical solution to clogging, i.e., coating the airway with a film of detergent. Unfortunately, I could never overcome the clogging problem and ultimately removed all of the polymer clay. Noah was right, this had the effect of making the higher notes screechy. And I still have more clogging problems with this whistle than I do with almost any other whistle that I own. Interestingly, I noticed that the clogging is much worse if the whistle is cold, so if I'm playing it I take care to keep it as warm as possible. So would I recommend this whistle? Not unless you're one of those individuals that rarely has problems with clogging.

Rand
Whistlepeg

Post by Whistlepeg »

Lori,
It is very frustrating trying to decide which whistle(s) to buy when you can't try them first, and have to go on other peoples opinions...I know from experience!
But for what it's worth, my experience with the Laughing Whistle is similar to kg's.
I have one now that is still very quiet, but it has a lovely sweet tone and plays well in both octaves (and is well in tune). I had to learn to blow much more gently into it to produce the best sound. It fits in a small purse and can be played anywhere without disturbing anyone. It is too quiet for me to use in sessions or gigs, but I do enjoy playing it for myself...and it is very cute!
thesackrat

Post by thesackrat »

I, also, find these whistles to be easy to play with a very sweet sound. I, also, find clogging to be a problem with no apparent solution. Early on I ordered a D as well as a C so have had mine for quite some time. Frankly I have _never_ been able to finish a single song due to clog. Sometimes I can't even make it through a few bars (no, not those bars, bars of music).

I recently ordered some Dr. Bronners pepperment soap with the hope that it will solve this problem. It is really a shame that I don't have the use of these whistles as they are both simply a dream to play and listen to.

In all fairness I must add that I live in South Georgia and the humidity generally ranges between 100% and 100% (plus or minus 0%)!!!!
cquick
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by cquick »

I purchase a Laughing Whistle almost a year ago, or so it seems.
Of all the whistles I have (Burke Al-Pro, Clark orginal, Clark sweetone,two-piece Clare) this is the whistle that is the most in tune. No good for sessions - it disappears in the fiddles, but for practice and at home , I would rate it one of the best.
As far as clogging, I suspect that it clogs so easily because of the very low breath requirements, and when it clogs, I just "pull" hard on it and away I go again.