Report from Ireland #2

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Azalin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

Hello people,

For those interested, here's a report from Ireland again...

I've had the chance to go into a "private" session recently. Not to play, because you're "allowed" to play usually with an invitation, but I was with somebody who's got one such invitation.

I've been explained that this session was actually a real trad. session. This was a gathering of farmers, of neighbors, playing together. The skill wasnt the priority. Chatting and having a pint with neighbors was. And the music had a different style from what you usually hear in "open" sessions. I've been told it was the "old" style, played much slower than what you hear around.

The result of this, to my hear, was music with lots more "feeling", and a really warm atmosphere...

Some older musicians see music played by, for example, Mary Bergin, music for the "mass" and for "showing off", rather than pure, traditional music. Okay, I can feel some people reaching the roof, I'm just saying what I've understood from other people, and by coincidence it ends up being what I think. I enjoy a lot more listening to Mike McHale than Mary Bergin, but there again, this is a matter of taste! And darn I would love to play fast like crazy, and won't sleep until I can do it!

I've been told that it is human nature to try to go as fast as body can go, and this is what happened in the last few years. I've also been told that there's now a reversal tendency, and older players teach the old way, and often we see young players doing really well in the championships with slower, simpler tune, older style.

Oh well, hope you enjoyed this point of view, I don't know if this opinion is shared by many musicians around County Clare, will try to find out!

Leavin for Britanny on thursday, will try to learn and hear different styles of celtic music, and see how they differ...

-----
Azalin
WhistlingGypsy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by WhistlingGypsy »

Azalin,

Be sure to visit the 'Galway Inn' in Lorient for a good session. My brother Padraig runs the place. Tell him I said Hi!

Cheers,

Gerry