Sticky fingers

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Whistlepeg
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whistlepeg »

When it is very hot & humid, my brass whistles feel as though I played them previously with honey on my fingers, even though I wash & dry the whistle & my hands! It is not just sweaty palms, the whistle itself seem sticky. Is this just me or does anyone else out there experience this? If so is there anything you have found to help (short of adding talc to the hands prior to playing, kind of like the Olympic gymnasts!)
I don't have this problem with alloy, nickle, plastic or wood.......
Sue
clark
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

Sue,
I'm not sure I know exactly what you are talking about because while my brass Copland (the only brass whistle I play) sometimes gets a little sticky, it is nothing like honey. Still, I have noticed that this happens when there is a fair amount of tarnish on the whistle and I haven't played it in awhile. I haven't noticed any correlation with the humidity (and we have plenty of that in Honolulu). After an hour or so the tarnish is worn off where my fingers are and my fingers feel a little sticky. Although my fingers don't turn green I have assumed that it is microscopic tarnish on them that makes for the grimy feel. I just polish the thing and the problem goes away for quite awhile. Now I like the golden gleem of polished brass and the smooth feel; but if you want the patina...?

Clark
LittleMy

Post by LittleMy »

Whistlepeg- I use cornstarch on my fingers. Just a little bit takes away the stickiness.
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

Hi Sue. In Singapore were I live, its also very very humid and sometimes I do get that sticky fingers syndrome. My solution is usually to practice with the air-conditioner on if ther weather is humid. Or if the situation is extreme, I guess powdering your fingers would be very good as well.

Also, I do experience the stickiness expecially on a tarnished WBB Burke. I think it might have something to do with the brass oxidising or something. I'm not very sure why. I guess thats one of the minor reasons why I don't play the Burke too often. The tarnish may come off with some Brass cleaning liquid but I haven't tried it yet.
Whistlepeg

Post by Whistlepeg »

Thanks all for your sugestions. Sounds like I may have to polish-up the old whistle.
Sue