What in should I carry my whistles.......?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Ciaran De Bhal
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ciaran De Bhal »

Having read a few posts, I've discovered a dilemma among whistlers. The pride a whistler has in his/her whistle collection and the shame these whistlers feel carrying many whistles to sessions in plastic grocery bags....

The solution ?
A drumstick bag !!
Many pockets, for bits and pieces including spare underwear and a toothbrush for festival goers...

Ciaran
WhistlingGypsy

Post by WhistlingGypsy »

I bought a plastic blueprint case - the type that you roll up blueprints in - from the local art store for $14 and it works great for carrying all my whistles. It has a shoulder strap and it is adjustable and so will fit whistles of any length. I wrap my Kerry Pro Low D in a long sock - if you can get the Scottish Hose (tartan) they are nice looking also - and it fits beautifully.

Cheers,

Gerry
TnWhistler

Post by TnWhistler »

I recently bought a cue stick case to carry mine. It has a divider, one side for my KErry Pro Low D and the other side for my soprano whistles, you know...

One for Tony
One for Uncle Junior
One for AJ

Paulie can buy his own.
Please tell me someone gets this.
eskin

Post by eskin »

I take PVC pipe, cut a section long enough for my D whistles, glue a cap on one end. The other end I take a short strip of an old tee-shirt about 4 inches by 1/4 inch put it over the end of the tube, then press fit the cap over that. The material gives just enough bite to keep the cap securely closed.

Now you have a virtually indestructable whistle case, for about $0.50 each. Careful taking them through security at the airport, they look a bit like a pipe bomb.
Caru

Post by Caru »

A small hydration pack (used by hikers) also works well. You can just take the water bottle out, and the packs' insulation makes great padding. The small ones are like little backpacks, usually tall enough for a B-flat and wide enough to hold about 5 whistles in foam sleeves. There are often a couple extra pockets.
ErikT
antispam: No

Post by ErikT »

Caru,

I've used mine for that, too :smile: Though I leave the water in... I'm using it while riding my bike. Apparently some folks on the board hold and record sessions on their mini-disk players from attop their bikes, but I just wait to play until I stop :wink: (now who was that that said that? Brian? Tom?)

Peace,
Erik

POST EDIT: Ah! It was you, Loren. Here's the old discussion. http://chiffboard.mati.ca/archive/whist ... 76176.html

p.s. Thank you, Rich, for saving the archives!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ErikT on 2001-07-31 02:25 ]</font>
fiddling_tenor

Post by fiddling_tenor »

I found a paint-ball pistol case at Wal-Mart that works great for my whistles. Hard plastic shell, egg-crate foam included! I do need to break down the low D though.
"Put": the act of placing something in a specific spot.
"Putt": the vain attempt to do the same thing.
StevePower

Post by StevePower »

I got it Tnwhistler - the Soprano's (as opposed to the new series on the crime family the Dingle Brothers, known as 'The Low D's'.)

:smile:

Steve
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Erik,

And you thought driving a car and playing was difficult, Ha! :wink: Man, I can't believe you dug that old thread up!

BTW, That Overton Low C is on the way now, I can't wait. I don't think Colin wanted to part with it! I think I'm also getting the dark blue Soprano D you passed up. Works out well for me as it'll match the color of my Alto F.

Regarding whistle cases, I have two that work really well: One I bought from Colin Goldie - it's a very nice cordura covered hard case. Excellent quality and carries three low whistles, or 4-6 sopranos, or a combination of Low/High whistles.

The other case is a "Laughing Mallard" Native american flute "Quiver". It's a cylindrical cordura covered tube with a shoulder strap. Not as nice as the case I got from Colin, but it was only about $35 but it can hold up to a dozen whistles of various sizes.

Loren
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

That dark blue one is sweet. It's a good player... I just couldn't afford both. I was secretly hoping that it would stick around for a while, but I suppose that he can make another :smile: and another and another...

Erik