Thin Weasel updated review

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Wandering_Whistler

Post by Wandering_Whistler »

DrGiggles asked that I give an updated review now that I've had an opportunity to get to know my Thin Weasel better. Occasionally in this review, I'll be comparing it to my other favorite whistle, the Silkstone PVC.

Lets start off by talking about how the whistle looks. It's extremely professional-looking, with the dark exotic hardwood contrasted with the silvery mouthpiece and accents. It's definitely got no "shaming qualities"..most of my other whistles have something about them that is a little embarrassing/non-professional when showing them off to non-whistlers. The Silkstone is *plastic*, the Sweetone has Whistling Billy painted on it, my Clarke has those wretched diamonds, my homegrown D looks like the windway was made by a clumsy oaf with a hammer (which it was..heh!), my McHaffie says "NIBCO" on the tuning slide. I can't find a single thing about the Thin Weasel like that. Sure, a whistle should be all about the music, but it sure is nice to see someone look at my Weasel in admiration, rather than going "What, is this plastic??" :smile:

Volume: The whistle is quite assertive...easily heard, even in the middle of Dave and Busters (if you don't have one of these near you, they're an adult 'game arcade'..video games, pool tables, restaurant, etc.). I would say it's easily as loud as my Silkstone, but not quite as loud as my Chieftain D. That means it's much louder than a Generation, Sweetone, Feadog, or other inexpensive whistle that I own (with the exception of the plastic Trophy brand $1.95 kids whistle I have).

Air requirements: It requires a fair amount of air pressure to hit the top end of the 2nd octave, but the breath requirements are a constant progression along the whistle; there aren't any places where the breath requirements greatly change from one note to the next (unlike some whistles I've owned). I think that makes getting to know the whistle easier, because you don't have to worry so much about breath control. The Thin Weasel has medium air VOLUME (as opposed to pressure) requirements. In comparison: The Thin Weasel takes less air volume and pressure than a Shaw or Chieftain D, but more than a Silkstone or Sweetone. The 2nd octave requirements are an easy reach from the first octave, unlike my Chieftain D or my Susato low D (both of which have big jumps in breath requirements once you get up in the top of the second octave).

Sound: It has a minor amount of chiff, and I'm pretty sure it'll play up in the 3rd octave easily (though I know no songs that require notes up there). It should go without saying that a whistle with this much attention to detail plays in tune, but I'll say it anyway..this whistle is in tune :smile: The tone is more 'whistly' than my Silkstone (which is more 'flutey')..The whistle has microtones or overtones or something other than 'pure' tones. As a comparison, my Silkstone is VERY pure of tone. I find that I prefer my Weasel (and Herbison, which is also quite 'whistly' sounding) for fast music like jigs and reels. I prefer the Silkstone D for airs. None of the whistles I consider favorites are as chiffy as a traditional Clarke..though I do find I like a small amount of chiff (like in the Weasel or Herbison).

Now, I think the true test of a whistle is how much you actually PLAY it...because no matter how much you think you like it..if you're not playing it, there's something about the whistle that isn't calling to you. I have 'two' categories of whistle carrying: 'low end' and 'high end'. I'll carry low-end whistles whenever I feel the whistle won't be safe..such as to the beach, or to a new location where I don't know anything about the environment. Under these conditions, I generally grab a Sweetone or my Herbison Laughing Whistle. While the Herbison wasn't cheap, I could withstand the loss more than a more expensive whistle. I take high-end whistles whenever I'm going to be performing or showing the whistles off, or whenever I'm going to be going to areas I consider 'safe' (local sessions, park near my house, etc). In those cases, I generally grab my Silkstone D or the Thin Weasel. I've been grabbing the Thin Weasel more of late, but I attribute that to the fact that it's still 'new'. When I first got my Herbison, I carried it for a long time exclusively. I think both my Silkstone and my Weasel are equally good, but for quite different reasons. They have totally different sounds.

Anyway, I hope my long rambling message was informative. Thanks for not snoring too loudly. :wink:

Greg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wandering_Whistler on 2001-07-29 15:29 ]</font>
tephillah
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by tephillah »

Hey Greg!
So glad to hear your report on the weasel. I knew you'd love it. And thought I'd let you know I do now have a Thinweasel high D that is not making my lip swell and blister. It's a beauty, and is made of Bloodwood. I've also now got a Thinweasel high C, made of cocobola, for which I'll need to apply a coat of clear nail polish to the mouthpiece for protection. They are wonderful whistles, aren't they?
Karen
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

The more you play 'em, the more you'll like 'em.
I like the large fingerholes-- good for smearing notes, or playing odd sharps or flats.
Grannymouse

Post by Grannymouse »

Hi Greg ~ I'm glad to know your thoughts on the Thin Weasel echo mine. I will play several different whistles and I love my brass Hoover and my Laughing Whistle but when it comes to playing in church or a jam......it's my blackwood TW I've come to depend on. I know it better than any other (if that makes any sense) and it seems to be the most compatible with other instruments. I even take it places where I probably shouldn't but would be lost with out it. Gm
DrGiggles

Post by DrGiggles »

What's the best way of acquiring a Thin Weasel? Is it better to go through a Whistle Seller (I believe Lark in the Morning sells them), or is it better to contact Glenn directly?

Also, what kind of wait time is there for a Soprano D? Is it Months like an Abell or Years like an O'Riordan, or does he usually have them in stock?

-Frank
DrGiggles

Post by DrGiggles »

Oh Greg? Quick Question... You mentioned your praise for the Silkstone PVC (part of which is why I bought my PVC Bb Silkstone). Have you ever tried the Alloy Silkstone? I don't think I've heard a bad word about the alloy whistle.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

According to what Glenn Schultz told me, wait time can be two months or more. However, if you catch him between batches as I did, he may have some extra whistles which you can grab immediately - my cocuswood C was in my hands within the week. He also had a sop. D in African pink ivory wood that I was prepared to rob a bank in order to afford.
tephillah

Post by tephillah »

Frank,
I own both a PVC Silkstone high D and an Alloy D. The alloy model is very sweet and pure in tone, more like a flute. The pitch is good, and the volume quite substantial. It is also tunable, unlike the PVC model. I love mine, am hard-pressed to choose between this and my Thinweasel.
Wandering_Whistler

Post by Wandering_Whistler »

Granny, Tephillah: thanks for sharing your thoughts! If it wasn't for you guys, I probably wouldn't have picked this one up to begin with...Prior to GM getting hers, and you posting about yours, I'd never really heard much first-hand commentary..now I'm glad I did :smile:
On 2001-07-30 10:02, DrGiggles wrote:
What's the best way of acquiring a Thin Weasel?
-----
and
-----
Oh Greg? Quick Question... You mentioned your praise for the Silkstone PVC (part of which is why I bought my PVC Bb Silkstone). Have you ever tried the Alloy Silkstone? I don't think I've heard a bad word about the alloy whistle.
As for buying a Weasel new, I'll have to defer to someone who'd know better...every whistle I've ever bought over $120, I've gotten used from a C&F'er and had about a week's waiting period :smile: I think my Silkstones are the most expensive whistles I've ever bought new.

As for the silkstone, I've only got the PVC D and Bb. I think he was just coming out with the alloy ones when I got mine...an alloy D was on my whistle list (and in fact, were going to be my next whistle after the Herbison until the Weasel came up for grabs), but i'm just so darn pleased with the PVC version and the Weasel, I find it hard to get motivated to buy another D. I haven't even really been moved by the glowing new reports of the Fred Rose, and the new sterling whistle (the name escapes me at the moment). However, I agree with you..I haven't heard anything but good about the Silkstone Alloy. I've just never tried one myself. Maybe after a few months, WhOA will set back in, and I'll find out :smile:
Greg
DrGiggles

Post by DrGiggles »

I've decided to get a Thin Weasel with my "IRS Relief Money" (sheesh, anyone know a Government Humor chatboard). :smile: Because I have heard such wonderful things, and I liked the Water Weasel I had the opportunity to try.

The alloy silkstone is "on order" at the Whistle Shop (this is the first whistle I ordered that he didn't have in stock... my palms are sweating!!!) because I did like the Silkstone Bb... but a big priority for me is that the whistles be tuneable (which is why I didn't go for the PVC Sop D).

The Abell was a very close second and the O'Riordan was third in my list (I'm sorry, waiting 2 years for a whistle seems like self-inflicted touture... I'll save that for when I buy a house.)

Thanks for all the input...
-Frank
DrGiggles

Post by DrGiggles »

I've decided to get a Thin Weasel with my "IRS Relief Money" (sheesh, anyone know a Government Humor chatboard). :smile: Because I have heard such wonderful things, and I liked the Water Weasel I had the opportunity to try.

The alloy silkstone is "on order" at the Whistle Shop (this is the first whistle I ordered that he didn't have in stock... my palms are sweating!!!) because I did like the Silkstone Bb... but a big priority for me is that the whistles be tuneable (which is why I didn't go for the PVC Sop D).

The Abell was a very close second and the O'Riordan was third in my list (I'm sorry, waiting 2 years for a whistle seems like self-inflicted touture... I'll save that for when I buy a house.)

Thanks for all the input...
-Frank
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Contact Glenn directly to buy a whistle. Always best to deal directly with the maker and you'll really enjoy Glenn! He's THNWZL@aol.com

He has a bit of a website too:http://63.162.128.17/~cara/thinweasel/
DrGiggles

Post by DrGiggles »

On 2001-07-29 19:02, tephillah wrote:

And thought I'd let you know I do now have a Thinweasel high D that is not making my lip swell and blister. It's a beauty, and is made of Bloodwood. I've also now got a Thinweasel high C, made of cocobola, for which I'll need to apply a coat of clear nail polish to the mouthpiece for protection.
???!!!??? I'm a bit confused. Do you normally have a problem with swelling and blistering lips on wooden whistles, or is this an unpublished side-effect of the Thin Weasel??? (I sure hope not)...

I had a quick e-mail correspondance with Glenn, and I hope to be a very happy whistler in the near future... :smile:

-Frank
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

Many of the good instrument woods are also bad allergy woods. A clearcoat on a whistle headjoint or a metal embouchure plate on a flute is an easy solution.

Cocus is particularly bad for that. <a href="http://www.home.earthlink.net/~migoya/id31.htm">This Metzler flute</a> has not only a silver embouchure plate but silver toneholes as well to keep player and wood apart.
<ul>-Rich</ul>
tephillah

Post by tephillah »

Frank,
This is not an unpublished side effect of Thinweasels at all! Prior to purchasing my C and D Weasels, I was not aware of my own sensitivity to these woods. I had previously bought a high G cocobola Thinweasel, and had no problems with it, and still do not. Glenn uses various woods, and he could advise you if you suspect you might be allergy prone. Not all woods are problematic in this way.