My Thin Weasel saved my life! (OT)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Wandering_Whistler

Post by Wandering_Whistler »

Ok, maybe more like 5 square inches of my skin...

I got a tattoo two weeks ago of Kokopelli, the cute native american flute-guy. This is not my first ink, and I know how to take care of a new tattoo, but even though I did all of the "right things", it got infected. It was getting really bad (though I'll spare you the gross details) and I decided to make a doctor's appointment the other evening. It was really bothering me, though and I couldn't sleep, so out of desperation I rubbed some of my home-made Thin Weasel whistle oil into the tattoo..I figured food-grade cooking oils and Vitamin E wouldn't hurt, and thought it might help moisturize it a bit while I slept. The next day it looked a TON better, and after 3 days it's almost completely healed! All signs of infection are gone...whew!<P>It turns out that sweet almond oil, olive oil, and vitamin E (the recipe suggested by Glenn in his whistle care sheet) is very good for the skin. If I hadn't desperately used some mixed up whistle juice for relief, I probably would have ended up with a very expensive doctor visit...of course, I can't medically recommend anyone putting whistle oil on a skin problem...but hey, I'm glad it worked for me! :smile:
DrGiggles
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by DrGiggles »

Hey Greg! Sorry to hear about the infection, but glad to hear it got better.

A few weeks (months) ago, you did a mini-review of the thin weasel... How about an update? Now that you've had some time to really play the thing...

I CANNOT believe you're selling whistles! I looked on E-bay and was shocked. (I also checked your D&D stuff... Unfortunately, I'm playing 3rd edition now, otherwise I would of snatched some of that stuff up.)

Has the Thin Weasel cured you of WhOA?

-Frank
Wandering_Whistler

Post by Wandering_Whistler »

RE: Thin Weasel--I'll put up a updated review in a new thread so folks can find it easier.

As for the whistles: I'm moving soon, and doing a bit of housecleaning before I go. I'm a 'minimalist packrat'..meaning I collect stuff for months/years, and then clean it down to the bare essentials every now and then. I haven't played the whistles I'm selling since the last time I moved, so I figured they were good candidates for the chopping block. I've always found the Chieftain D hard to play because of the air pressure/volume requirements (though I believe my Chieftain low D is a dream!). As my own skills have improved, the Chieftain D has gotten steadily easier to play, but I feel that it will never supplant my other favorite high-end D whistles (Thin Weasel and Silkstone PVC). The same goes for the Susato..i have a number of great D whistles already, and when I want to carry a cheap one, I have a couple of Sweetones, and my Herbison Laughing Whistle (though this is more "mid-range" than cheap) I instinctivly reach for. The susato just ends up sitting in the 'whistle drawer' getting no use. It's a good whistle, I think..but in the final equation, I have wistles I prefer over it. As for the Clarke...I just never have been able to stand Irish music played in that key...just a personal taste. I always cringe whenever I pick it up and try to play something I know on it.
On a side note, I'm also selling some panpipes I never learned to play..ditto for a bamboo saxophone. That easily leaves probably 30 whistles and other wind instruments (quenas, dizi, indian flutes, etc) in my collection, so you see..i'm really not parting with much! :smile: A few months ago I sold a Susato low G, and low D, along with some other instruments. I have a Cheiftain low G I prefer, and two high-end low D's (Chieftain, Copeland). I feel an instrument wants to be used..and if I'm not using them, I'm doing them an injustice. Better to get them out into the hands of someone that'll care for them.
On 2001-07-28 23:39, DrGiggles wrote:
A few weeks (months) ago, you did a mini-review of the thin weasel... How about an update? Now that you've had some time to really play the thing...

I CANNOT believe you're selling whistles! I looked on E-bay and was shocked
Has the Thin Weasel cured you of WhOA?

-Frank
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wandering_Whistler on 2001-07-29 14:44 ]</font>