Dixon soprano D - mini review

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ThorntonRose
antispam: No

Post by ThorntonRose »

After several recommendations from people on the board, I bought a Dixon soprano D (non-tuneable), and I have to say that it is a fine whistle. The price can't be beat, either -- $16.

This whistle has a bright, round tone, with a little chiff, particularly in the upper octave, and an overall sound that is similar to other composite whistles -- not anything like a Susato. It has a good volume range and what I might characterize as a low air-pressure-to-note cutoff point. I was able to get notes to fade out, which I can't seem to do with my Waltons brass D. (Listen to Joannie Madden play airs for a good example of this technique.) Transitions are smooth and seem to be just as fast as the Waltons. The C (OXXOOO fingering) natural is good, although I haven't checked it on the tuner yet. Additionally, this whistle is handsome -- black with just a touch of gold. The only negative that I have to report is that the holes don't seal as well as those on the Waltons.

To Tony Dixon, thanks for the making a great whistle. And, to Thom Larson, thanks for carrying these fine whistles.

~ Thornton

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ThorntonRose on 2001-07-02 09:24 ]</font>
DrGiggles
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by DrGiggles »

Question: What do you mean by "they don't seal well"? Doesn't that have more to do with the fingers covering the holes? But then again, I've got some fat fingers. Must be from playing french flutes for 20 years. <g>

Personally, I haven't had any problems with air leaking. Granted, the low notes aren't as powerful as a Susato, but I think all in all, it's a wonderful whistle. In fact, I just ordered a spare from The Whistle Shop. The one thing I love about the whistle is the tuning slide. I can actually play with other instruments and tune to them rather than having them tune to me! YAY!

Tony Dixon has entered my list of personal heros! Up there with Joanie Madden and James Galway.

My 2 cents,
Frank
ThorntonRose

Post by ThorntonRose »

Question: What do you mean by "they don't seal well"? Doesn't that have more to do with the fingers covering the holes? But then again, I've got some fat fingers. Must be from playing french flutes for 20 years.
Yes, fingers are a factor, but if the holes on a whistle have sharp edges, as opposed to rounded or beveled edges, they are can be easier to seal. Non-sharp edges require just slightly more finger pressure.
The one thing I love about the whistle is the tuning slide. I can actually play with other instruments and tune to them rather than having them tune to me! YAY!
I'm thinking about ordering the tuneable version, too.

~ Thornton

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ThorntonRose on 2001-07-02 09:32 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ThorntonRose on 2001-07-02 09:32 ]</font>
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Hmm, interesting....In regards to hole sealing: I find the sharper edged holes much more problematic than holes with rounded edges. This is exactly why I'm switching from an older Bernard Overton Soprano D (sharp edges) to a new Goldie Overton Soprano D. The tone hole edges on Colin's whistles hare slightly rounded, which I find much easier to seal.

I guess this varies from person to person, interesting indeed!

Loren
DrGiggles

Post by DrGiggles »

The rounded vs sharp edged holes I would say is definitely a matter of personal opinion. Just as some people prefer softer whistles and others prefer louder whistles.

My personal opinion: If you can hit the low D, you can cover the holes. If you're having trouble with leaking fingers, you haven't become friends with the whistle yet - take your whistle out for a date; have conversations with it, find out its likes and dislikes... just remember, no kissing on the first date. :smile:

When I first got my Dixon, I was playing a Susato, and I thought the Dixon had a sweet sound, but the low E and D were a little hard to hit. After about 4 hours, the Susato went into the Drawer. I can do 8th notes at 90 bpm doing two-octave jumps from D" to D without a problem now.

Different people play different - thus, different people like different whistles. You know how boring life would be if we all played Generation D's???

Have you had a date with your whistle recently???

Cheers!
-Frank
LeeMarsh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

Loren & DrGiggles,
I aggree.

For me, the slightly beveled smoother edges are easier to seal; however, the sharper edges are easier for me to feel weather I've got a good seal or not. Of course when I don't have a good seal, I hear it ...

Hmmm... Kinda like some types of relationships. You, know.. The sharper prickly ones let you know where you stand and when your missing it you feel it quick and before anyone else hears about it. The smoother ones are easier to get it right with; but, when you miss it; everyone hears it.

Sharp edges or beveled ...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LeeMarsh on 2001-07-03 10:54 ]</font>
DrGiggles

Post by DrGiggles »

Kinda like some types of relationships. You, know.. The sharper prickly ones let you know where you stand and when your missing it you feel it quick and before anyone else hears about it. The smoother ones are easier to get it right with; but, when you miss it; everyone one hears it.
BRAVO! A wonderful Analogy! Now go buy your whistle some flowers!

-Frank