Survey - Which Whistles ...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
LeeMarsh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

As I mention in another post I've started working on leather cases for my whistles.

I was wander for those that go to sessions, which whistle keys to you take?
For example:
D
D&C
D,C, and Low-D?

Thanks and
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
Ms Fire
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ms Fire »

I am what is laughingly called a session junkie around here. I hit session nearly every night of the week (as long as there's one going). The only whistle I take is my D. If they play a tune in A I just half hole the G. Most session tunes are in G, D, Em, or A. That I've heard anyway. Hope this helps!
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

Same deal here; I bring a (high) D and a flute.
<ul>-Rich</ul>
eskin

Post by eskin »

I generally take my Copeland high D and low D, and an O'Riordan C. Percentage-wise, I use the high-D 80%, the low-D 15%, and the C for a couple of tunes like Julia Delaney's that are just a whole lot better on a C whistle.
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

I usually take all of mine, because hey, you never know...but like everyone else, I end up using my D most of the time.

Tom
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

Hi Lee! I usually bring about 10 whistles to a session, one in each key I have Low D, low G, A, Bb, C, D (high Eb and F once I get them!) facillitating the vocallists.

For Ds I usually bring different kinds, so as to adapt to different situations. It does sound rather pathological for an amateur whistler, especially when I usually end up using my low D and one D per session only.

Currently, I use a nice padded soft case for Chinese flutes and it carries more than 10 whistles (when you stuff more than one whistle in each pocket). Hope that helps!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eldarion on 2001-07-29 10:17 ]</font>
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

I, like most others ehre it seems, play my high D whistles almost exclusively. The biggest thing I find though, is that with different whistles you get a different tone. Burke pro is great for the fast moving stuff like reels, polkas and jigs. However, I prefer my Oak, Generation or Hoover for slower and solo pieces.

Tom, you still playing that orange 'hunting' whistle? :smile:

B~
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

Thanks, for all those that contributed so far. For design purposes it seems we have a couple of usefull approachs.

1. Short case design for 1,2, or 3 soprano whistles.

2. A mixed case for a Tenor(low) D and a soprano D, with maybe a variation that will also carry an additional pocket for a soprano C.

3. A kitchen sink case, for a bunch of whistles.

The first two are, I think suitable for leather cases, while the kitchen sink type might be betterm met by a larger hard case.

Thanks, I'll include this info in my design plans. Additional data/posts still solicited and appreciated.

No mater how you get your whistles to the session, just ...
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
WhistlingGypsy

Post by WhistlingGypsy »

Being from Ireland I just take any whistle along - doesn't matter what key it's in!!!! :wink:

Seriously - I take my Generation D and C and Kerry Pro Low D

Cheers,

Gerry