Feadog Pro Review (PowerPoint! Clips! Nudity!)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Whistlin'Dixie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

peeplj wrote:Thanks...it sounds like a great whistle!

Now if I can just find a place that sells them...

--James
I agree, I plan to go for it. So I just ordered one, took about 2 minutes total.

Google Feadog Pro, found Shanna Quay, ordered on-line.

M

I am looking forward to gettting this one, thanks, Bloomfield. :party:

Aaaauuuurrrggghh!
I have just been informed that the doors on Shanna Quay have closed!
So, I will check into ordering from elsewhere when I get home from work.
Toodles!
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I've exchanged a few emails with a fella that works for Feadog, Paul McCarron. I've sent him an email to see if he can recommend a place to order one.

--James
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

James, can you, in your emails, investigate whether they will be doing anything differently with the manufacture re. quality control?

I sound like a broken record.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

If it turns out that he still works there. It's been a while since we corresponded.

--James
Tom Dowling
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

I just now got to this part of the thread:

Bloomfield said:
But tell you what: Forget sending me the whistle. Let's both descend on TomD, eat all his food, park in his garage, sleep on his couch, and drool in all his whistles. It's been too long.
It would be my pleasure if we could make that happen. Tuesday and Thursday Nights are open and there was some thought of a get-together here in Brooklyn on Saturday, November 12, 2005. Interest has been lukewarm, but there are a few tentative yesses. I am still open for that and will resurrect that post with a 'last call' type solicitation.

Whatever the circumstances, it is always a pleasure to have the company of your august self and the equally esteemed Philo. The Garage Season is drawing to a close, but there is always the living room. I've also got some rudimentary recording equipment, the tolerances of which we could tax sorely.

Tom D.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Here is how you can get your very own Feadog Pro:
Paul McCarron at Feadog wrote:To answer your question, you can buy the Pro D directly from us, unfortunately it is not available on our website yet but if anyone would like to purchase it, please let them know that they can e-mail me. The current price is US$10.00 and Postage & Packaging is 20% of total order with a minimum of $5.00.
Here is the email address: whistles@feadog.ie

If you get one, let us know how you like it.
/Bloomfield
fluti31415

Post by fluti31415 »

Bloomfield wrote:Ha! I thought Tufte would be too esoteric for this crowd. I'm a big Tufte fan. One of my graphics is basically filched from Tufte's article. :)

Right on! Down with PowerPoint! Graphics only! No bullet-point lists!
I just finished one of Tufte's books. It's the whistles that are beyond my intellectual grasp. (well, at least the ornaments).
Shannon
(aka fluti31415)
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

Cranberry wrote:Pretty!! :)
I hope you mean the nice picture....errrr don't mean, rather. :lol:
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I had a Feadog Pro waiting on me when I got home from work today. :D

After I've had a chance to spend some time with it, I'll post my thoughts.

Initial impression: apppearance is much like an Oak, but the whistle feels quite a bit lighter than an Oak, and the tone and response are much more "Feadogy" than "Oaky."

The fipple is black plastic and appears to be identical, or nearly so, to the regular Feadog. There does seem to be a very slight difference around the blade and window, but I can't tell if it's just my eyes or if it's really there.

The tone is similar to the original Feadog but seems a bit easier to control, not quite so sensitive to breath pressure. Also the volume seems very slightly reduced from the original Feadog.

A welcome change is that the fipple on the Feadog Pro isn't glued in place, making the whistle easily tuneable.

More to follow later.

--James
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

peeplj wrote:I had a Feadog Pro waiting on me when I got home from work today. :D
I've tried to get my Feadogs to wait on me, but no matter how I shout or plead, they won't bring my slippers or a fresh beer. ;)
After I've had a chance to spend some time with it, I'll post my thoughts.

Initial impression: apppearance is much like an Oak, but the whistle feels quite a bit lighter than an Oak, and the tone and response are much more "Feadogy" than "Oaky."

The fipple is black plastic and appears to be identical, or nearly so, to the regular Feadog. There does seem to be a very slight difference around the blade and window, but I can't tell if it's just my eyes or if it's really there.

The tone is similar to the original Feadog but seems a bit easier to control, not quite so sensitive to breath pressure. Also the volume seems very slightly reduced from the original Feadog.

A welcome change is that the fipple on the Feadog Pro isn't glued in place, making the whistle easily tuneable.

More to follow later.

--James
Very good. I look foward it.
/Bloomfield
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

I just got one of these. It looks different, and it's a little louder than my brass feadog, maybe a tiny bit less piercing in the tone. All in all, it doesn't seem to be that much different other than the appearance. and I like it.
William Bajzek
Chief Wanganui

Post by Chief Wanganui »

FJohnSharp wrote:Yes, but do we know anything aboout consistency of manufacture? Or will they be luck of the draw?
Very good point. I tried three of these the other day (I believe you see can this on the Kerrywhistles site although I haven't checked it yet) and I thought the best of the bunch was the ordinary one, not the brass or Pro. This leads me to conclude that, as with the dear old Generations, there is some inconsistency in manufacture and you have to get lucky.
That Scottish Git.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Man, I am NOT going there again. :)
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

Chief Wanganui wrote:
FJohnSharp wrote:Yes, but do we know anything aboout consistency of manufacture? Or will they be luck of the draw?
Very good point. I tried three of these the other day (I believe you see can this on the Kerrywhistles site although I haven't checked it yet) and I thought the best of the bunch was the ordinary one, not the brass or Pro. This leads me to conclude that, as with the dear old Generations, there is some inconsistency in manufacture and you have to get lucky.
I think the brass is actually the ordinary one. the others (I believe) just have plating added to the barrel.

In any case, I think your conclusion is correct... The quality control may not be perfect. However, I've bought 3 and all were about the same. I think the "only 1 in _some_number_much_bigger_than_1_ is a 'good' one" thing is a myth. I don't think you can expect $10 factory-produced instruments to be as consistent as all the $100+ "high end" instruments, but in a lot of cases I think frustrated people would prefer to buy more expensive instruments than learn to work with that they have. I know I usually would... :P
William Bajzek
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I received a Pro and a brass today. My first impressions are that it is a very nice sounding whistle. It requires breath control to keep yourself out of trouble. It has a sound a lot like a regular brass Feadog but it has a stronger low end. The one I have is a little sharp on the D and E then it is right on with the appropriate breath pressure. The C natural is quite sharp if you use too much breath but if you back off it is right on. I have been playing it a lot today and it will go into the case with the favorites. As far as being a beginners whistle I am of two minds. It will sqeak and squawk for a beginner. However if they perservere and learn to play it they will be able to play just about anything. I look forward to learning how to play it properly. It is a very nice whistle. My only regret is that I did not get a nickel D at the same time.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.