Feadog Pro Review (PowerPoint! Clips! Nudity!)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

What's Power Point? Is it one of the BG programs that let so many viruses into those windows based computers?
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
springrobin
Tell us something.: I play flute, whistle and harp and have been a member on this board for many years. I have tended to be a lurker recently and just posted a response for the first time in quite awhile.

Post by springrobin »

IDAwHOa wrote:What's Power Point? Is it one of the BG programs that let so many viruses into those windows based computers?
Oh no, much worse. It comes from within and IT LIVES.... usually as a mutating presentation pirated from one high mucky-muck to another. It may eventually find it's way back to it's lowly creator as a Frankenfile that has been so mutilated for the advancement of others that it must be destroyed before it can injure again. Curse you Microsoft!
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Well now Bloomie,
Good to see you making one of your rare guest appearances on these pages.
Your whistling has improved greatly since last I heard it.The ornamentation is very solid.
All those hours down around Spanish Point have done you a power of good.
Now if you could just spend an equal amount of time in the heartland of Powerpoint ..... :wink:

Nice review.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

dubhlinn wrote: Now if you could just spend an equal amount of time in the heartland of Powerpoint ..... :wink:
See, the difference between my playing and my PowerPoints is that the latter are deliberately bad. I've been looking for an opportunity to spoof those god-awful .ppt's I have to put up with at work. :)
/Bloomfield
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

A great review and great clips...thanks!

Sounds like it would be a great session whistle.

You mentioned the volume--how does it compare to a regular Feadog? About the same, or louder?

Also, curiosity: every Feadog I have tried (including one that I play pretty regularly) takes really good breath control to not shriek on the high G if you start off on that note. You have to hit it with a very precise attack and just the right amount of air to avoid that; does this Feadog behave the same way, or have they smoothed out the high G a bit?

Thanks,

--James
talimirr743

Re: Feadog Pro Review (PowerPoint! Clips! Nudity!)

Post by talimirr743 »

Bloomfield wrote:Image
I really hope thats not you! :P
Cheers!
~Andrew~

"As imperfect as we are, we each hold the world in our hands"
fearfaoin

Re: Feadog Pro Review (PowerPoint! Clips! Nudity!)

Post by fearfaoin »

talimirr743 wrote:I really hope thats not you! :P
Didn't know Bloomie was a member of Monty Python, did you?
He also wore a beard and said "It's", and his head did a brief
stint on film as a certain piece of sanctified munitions.
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

William Bajzek
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Ha! I thought Tufte would be too esoteric for this crowd. I'm a big Tufte fan. One of my graphics is basically filched from Tufte's article. :)

Right on! Down with PowerPoint! Graphics only! No bullet-point lists!
/Bloomfield
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Bloomfield wrote:
PhilO wrote:Hey Bloomy - missed you (sort of). If you'd like, I'll send you the O'Briain Improved for a comparative review, but only if you promise either no or better Power Point.
You're asking the impossible. I have made up my mind to go down in history as the Jess Franco of PowerPoints. But tell you what: Forget sending me the whistle. Let's both descend on TomD, eat all his food, park in his garage, sleep on his couch, and drool in all his whistles. It's been too long.
They're kind of close as I just played them, the Pro a bit more "chirpy" as you put it. I didn't note any real big "soft" v. "loud" differences, but I'll leave that to the experts.

Philo
You mustn't "just" play them. Play them with feeling, and with love.
Yes let's do it! Gee, I hope Susan's not reading this.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

You mean that guy wrote a book about Powerpoint? Wow,, the mighty have fallen...
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

So where can you get a Pro Feadog? I don't see them listed on the Feadog Web site.

-bp
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

peeplj wrote:A great review and great clips...thanks!

Sounds like it would be a great session whistle.

You mentioned the volume--how does it compare to a regular Feadog? About the same, or louder?

Also, curiosity: every Feadog I have tried (including one that I play pretty regularly) takes really good breath control to not shriek on the high G if you start off on that note. You have to hit it with a very precise attack and just the right amount of air to avoid that; does this Feadog behave the same way, or have they smoothed out the high G a bit?

Thanks,

--James
Hi. I don't think the Pro is louder than other Mk III Feadógs. Maybe a tiny bit, but thing is you can't play it at full volume or you'll squawk and breaks in tone. It's like an Oak, I guess, good volume for a almost any session.

About shrieking on the hi G: Well, yes the Feadóg does require good breath control. Either squeaking on the hi notes or blowing them too softly and out of tune is a challenge at first. Also, those who routinely overblow the Feadóg Pro are unlike to enjoy the tone. As in love, restraint and patience brings sweetness. (I read that somewhere.)
/Bloomfield
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Thanks...it sounds like a great whistle!

Now if I can just find a place that sells them...

--James
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Yes, but do we know anything aboout consistency of manufacture? Or will they be luck of the draw?
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony