I got my Susato Today, AND.....

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Lori Peters
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lori Peters »

mark me down as one that LOOOOOOOVES it! Still having a bit of trouble with the higher levels (actually, only c and d) but playing my scales is helping me get the feel for breath control.

When I played the first notes on it....the tone was exactly what I was looking for..something I could play while sitting on a hill and have it REALLY soar, if you know what I mean :smile: Almost brought tears to my eyes. Gonna keep playing, then figure out which one I want NEXT ha ha!
NicksterNM

Post by NicksterNM »

I started with a Clarke D and found a Susato D in a store near my workplace. It sure has more oomph. I had trouble at first dropping from B to D but as I worked on my breath conrtoll it got better, you just have to remember to blow lots softer for those low notes.

Since then I have aslo bought a Susato C , Low F and Low D, for the price and sound I am quite happy!
Nick
Lori Peters

Post by Lori Peters »

I am just absolutely in love with this whistle! I'm not having probs at all with the lower notes...just the 2 highest I can muster have a slight, ummm, multitone if that's a word. Kind of a mix of that note and the octave below. It doesn't sound bad, just not clear...I guess I should be happy it's not a squawk, eh? :smile:
Wandering_Whistler

Post by Wandering_Whistler »

On 2001-07-27 15:01, Lori Peters wrote:
multitone if that's a word. Kind of a mix of that note and the octave below. It doesn't sound bad, just not clear...
Lori: If I read your description right, that's usually a good indication that you haven't quite jumped the octave yet on those notes...if you put a bit more pressure into it, it should hopefully clear things up a a bit.

Greg
Phlebas

Post by Phlebas »

I'm with you on this one, they're great for outdoors and my Susato collection has no "duds". NONE. I must be lucky or something. My high D is loud, sweet and stable across both octaves, my low D is easy to play and beautiful to the ear. I could go on through all the keys, but you get the idea... I have almost all of them and they are all wonderful sounding. Speaking as a trekker (hiking, skiing, etc - not the TV show) they are the best travel/outdoor whistle I own because they have a strong beautiful voice, they are replaceable without too much pain, and they can get wet in my pack without me worrying. Glad you're happy with yours! I have seen a quite a few negative posts these days and it's nice to see a positive one. Whistle on!

Phlebas
rebl_rn
antispam: No

Post by rebl_rn »

I'm also glad to see somebody who else who loves the Susato. :grin: I've had a Copeland for a couple months now, and I love it too, but the Susato will always be my first love. I've never had a problem going between octaves and I love the volume and clarity.
croberts

Post by croberts »

I had a problem with my Susato D not hitting the top notes clearly. Eventually I tried a new whistle head, which cleared up the problem completely.

Chris Roberts
LittleMy

Post by LittleMy »

You've inspired me to get out my Susato Eb after weeks of playing only Low Ds.

I must have developed some muscles in my fingers, because ornamentation on the Susato is easy and super fast, but the second octave is really a lot of work. Still, I like it more now than I used to. Something about the key, maybe.
paulsdad

Post by paulsdad »

I'm glad you like yours. I bought a Susato D whistle about a year ago and don't really like it. It's difficult to hold the upper register. Also the sound is kind of plastic-ish like a recorder.

I really do like my Clarke Sweetone, though.
TonyaD

Post by TonyaD »

Which version of the Susato do you recommend?
Lori Peters

Post by Lori Peters »

My version is the etched Kildare...I mainly got it because it was pretty, and I go to alot of live action games with inclimate weather at times...so I thought, what the heck!
I love it, and the more I've played it, the easier it has become...boy, can it sing, LOUD! :smile: