Need recommendations for church songs.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Need recommendations for church songs.

Post by TonyHiggins »

I've been incorporated as a free agent, more or less, into the church choir as whistle player when suitable. I recently did a classical interlude between the singing parts. (Rejoice In The Lord Alway by HENRY PURCELL (1659-1695) A little strange for me, but it worked- mainly due to the excellent direction of the choir director who gave great cues for when I was to jump in. Otherwise, my daydreaminess would have wrecked it.

Anyway, I was asked if I knew any Irish spiritual type songs (with English language lyrics) that I could do on the whistle that the choir could sing. I don't. Any suggestions??

As an aside, In November the choir is joining another choir and orchestra to do a benefit concert for New Orleans residents, performing a modern composition, Requiem, by John Rutter. I'm not playing any of the Requiem, but I am doing some slow airs solo on whistle as the choir processes up to the front of the church at the beginning and after intermission. I submitted my own suggestions to the choir director and she liked A Stor mo Chroi, Lament for Limerick, Slieve Geal gCua, Ta Me mo' Choladh and Eleanor Plunkett. So, I'll work out two short sets from any of those five melodies (I haven't tried that yet, so we'll see.) So, yeah, I'm psyched about that. :party:
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Congratulations

Re: Need recommendations for church songs.

Post by Congratulations »

I've always wanted to play at a chuch, but I've never had the nerve to find one to ask. I'm not a church-going man, per se, but I'd definitely start going if I were playing.

Do churches generally take kindly to strangers asking to play, or would I need to start attending for a while before I asked?

I don't know of anything that would help you out Tony, but I'm sure someone does. :) Requiem is a really good piece, though. I heard it on NPR a while back, as I recall.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
missy

Post by missy »

Tony - these are some of the songs I've played whistle with the "contemporary" music group (guitar, piano, singers). These are in a Catholic church, so all are in Gather or other OCP publications:
"Now the Green Blade Rises"
"Sing of the Lord's Goodness"
There's another that I can't think of the name, it uses the music of "Star of County Down" for the tune.
added: I remembered the title "Canticle of the Turning"
"All the Ends of the Earth"
There have been others, again, I can't think of them off the top of my head.
When I play whistle, I use runs or triplets during the half or whole notes as long as they won't clash with what the piano is doing.

All the above are in D or Em in Gather.
Last edited by missy on Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

Tony

One of the oldest Irish Hymn tunes around. Easy and nice on whistle.

http://www.tinwhistler.com/sheet.asp?co ... _my_vision

Here's what it sounds like.

http://s89015200.onlinehome.us/pwc/Vision.mp3

Best
ten or more

Post by ten or more »

One of my favorites is a Welsh tune to which several hymns are set. It is Ar hyd y Nos (All Through the Night). It's also a well known lullaby.

See http://ingeb.org/songs/sleepmyc.html

Bob
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

"The Water is Wide" is more of a solo song than a choir song, but it is heartbreakingly beautiful. The tunefinder shows several in G and one in D.
http://jc.tzo.net:1742/~jc/music/abc/findtune.html
jsluder
antispam: No

Post by jsluder »

While not Irish, many (most?) Shaker hymns sound very nice on the whistle, and the lyrics are in English. :)
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Mr.Nate
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

need recomendations for church songs

Post by Mr.Nate »

The first time I heard the whistle was on a modern worship song called
Jesus be the Center. It was on a CD called Hungry by the Vinyard.

It started on the guitar, a little intro on the whistle, then the singing started. Later in the song the whistle played some more, then at the end.
The whistle playing was pretty simple. A slide here and there with a cut or two with no vibrato. You could do somthing like that on any song.
Another modern example would be on the Hobbit movie sound track!

I am sure anything you do would be amazing...tasteful, fitting etc.
Whistling in the Rockies!!
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Tony - just a suggestion, but you might want to ask over on the Praise Whistlers site, too. I know that quite a few C & F folks are over there, including some of our Bay Area gang, but with their focus you're more likely to get useful pointers. The only real suggestion I can make, since I haven't been a regular churchgoer in donkey's years.

Though I think that some of the tunes from _A Dossan of Heather_ would fit - certainly "Ar thaobh na Carraige" sounds like it belongs in church.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

DCrom wrote:Tony - just a suggestion, but you might want to ask over on the Praise Whistlers site, too. I know that quite a few C & F folks are over there, including some of our Bay Area gang, but with their focus you're more likely to get useful pointers. The only real suggestion I can make, since I haven't been a regular churchgoer in donkey's years.

Though I think that some of the tunes from _A Dossan of Heather_ would fit - certainly "Ar thaobh na Carraige" sounds like it belongs in church.
Where did Praise Whistler end up? The link I had for it doesn't work anymore.

I must suggest The Ash Grove as well...several hymns are set to that tune, and it sounds lovely on the whistle. It's Welsh, not Irish, but certainly Celtic enough

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Redwolf wrote: Where did Praise Whistler end up? The link I had for it doesn't work anymore.
Redwolf, the "message board" link here goes to a temporary board, but the archives apparently are gone.

http://www.praisewhistlers.com/
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

Here's wherethe PWA message board is now, Redwolf. I wondered where you were. :)

Tony, Mark Bell has some hymns on his website Whistle and Squeak -- "O the Deep, Deep Love of Jesus" is one of my favorites there.

Judy
littlejohngael
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Re: Need recommendations for church songs.

Post by littlejohngael »

Congratulations wrote:I've always wanted to play at a chuch, but I've never had the nerve to find one to ask. I'm not a church-going man, per se, but I'd definitely start going if I were playing.

Do churches generally take kindly to strangers asking to play, or would I need to start attending for a while before I asked?
Most of the churches I've been to have been happy to have folks pop into the band and/or choir after coming to service once. I've been in situations where I've met someone in the band who "just started attending." Generally, they've talked to the music minister and he says, "Sure. We practice on (insert day here). Come on out and join us."

'Course, that spans across my experience with Baptist and Nazarene Independent Christian churches. I can't speak for any other denominations.

Best,

LJ
bjs

Post by bjs »

"Blessed be that maid Marie" is a lovely old english carol. Someone posted a sound clip here some time back. I was so impressed it was the first tune I learned by ear.
I eventually found dots and words. How do I post an image here?
[/img]
springrobin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play flute, whistle and harp and have been a member on this board for many years. I have tended to be a lurker recently and just posted a response for the first time in quite awhile.

Post by springrobin »

Simple Gifts is one of those Shaker tunes that works well on whistle