A Visit from Jessie K

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

Yes, it was Johnny 'Ringo' McDonagh. Just saw a picture of him next to his name. A very nice man...asked me for lots of songs.

We are in Rounstone now. Last night we walked into a pub and asked them if there was music. They said no, so we asked if they wanted some. They said sure, so we entertained for over three hours. It was great fun! By 1 AM, we were singing American country songs around a large table with a young country band from Austria. I was dizzy and laughing my head off by the end of the night...you know how strong that still water can be. Hee hee. Really, one would think I'd had tons of Guinness. I think was contact drunk. No hangover, though.

Ok...first bad thing to report. Went to the Rounstone shop (Malachy Kearns')...they don't allow people to try the wind instruments...not only that, but they were incredibly rude about it. Hmph.

I played the Seery whistle last night. A great session whistle. I have also discovered another new whistle that everyone would be wise to order. It is so new that it is not yet priced, and the maker is not yet taking orders for it. But...I will certainly keep you posted.

Either Westport or Doolin next. Kinvara was wonderful...I was sad to leave. What a wonderful country.

From reading Azalin's and Chris's posts about sessions, I get the idea that it is a different sort of thing for instrumentalists and singers. I think the songs stick out more, because they are a change, and the voice doesn't really blend in with the other instruments in the same way. I've enjoyed the recognition, I must say. This morning I walked into a jewelry store and some guy said "You're the pub singer!" I liked that. In Nashville, things are very different.

:smile: Jessie
TerryB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TerryB »

Hi Jessie,

Where's the latest update on your trip? How am I supposed to experience Ireland vicariously through you and Richard unless you keep us up to date? I want to hear more about how famous the two of you have become so that I can say "I know them!" We miss you guys here in Nashville, but hope you're still having a great time.

Terry
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

You are very kind, Terry. We are back home now. The trip was amazing. The last night there, John Prine (he has a house in Nashville, and one in Kinvara), played with us in the session (he borrowed Richard's guitar to perform a couple of his songs) and shared some craic with us. It was great. After I sang an Italian aria, Eugene leaned toward me and said "John Prine clapped for you." The last few days (well, nights) there (in Kinvara) were musically intense. It is an amazing country, and I can't wait to go back.

A week from today, I'll be 25. I'm having an Irish music potluck birthday party. Anyone want to come?

:smile: Jessie