New, trying to find THE ONE

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Lori Peters
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lori Peters »

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted at this board before, so I thought I'd just say hi,
I started playing about 6 years ago on a Generation D, and loved it. It got lost and died horribly under our washing machine. So I just received a new Walton D today. All I can say is...either I've lost lung capacity, or this is NOT the whistle for me! It's far too breathy for my liking, and high D is murder attaining....
I'm expecting a Susato soon (only because of the fancy engraving), but am seriously considering another whistle that will be my main love.
I'm looking for bright and clear, easily reached upper levels, not breathy and not murder on my lungs.
I've had a Clarke in the past...far too breathy for my liking and the fipple came out within days...any advice?? Thanks!
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Hi Lori!

Welcome back. :smile: If I were you, I'd look into a Hoover, Dixon, Oak or Generation before I got a Susato. They can be murder as far as breath requirements go, especialy in the second octaves. The hoover is one of the most balanced whistles I've played, very mellow and smooth accross both octaves. The Dixon's I've played have a little bit more 'chirp' to them. Oaks and Gen's are more classic in their tone and for me have the most life in their sound. The downside of these last two is that they're not as forgiving as the first two are for squeaks and squaks.

I don't know if this helps you much, but hopefully, it's a start!

Slán

Brian~
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

Of all my many whistles, none is more beloved than my Burke aluminum.
I have a special place in my heart for my Silkstone, Water Weasel and Dixon as well.
Susatos are OK, but the mouthpiece too is chunky to hold between your lips.
If you loved your Generation, you might be happy with a Cillian Ó Briain improved tin whistle... or a Sindt.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

I'm looking for bright and clear, easily reached upper levels, not breathy and not murder on my lungs.
Being sorely afflicted with WhOA myself, I try to stay out of these threads - especially when I'm suggesting a more pricey whistle. Still, I'll jump in to say the description above fits the Silkstone PVC like a glove. And it comes in unbelievably cool pearlescent red and British racing green (the maker's names - not mine). They're a little pricey at about $85 US, but you DID say you were looking for a whistle to be the love of your life... or something like that.
ReyT

Post by ReyT »

I also didn't take to my Walton's Mellow D straight off. I wanted more breath resistance so I made a muffler for it. Basically you either sand down a round wooden toothpick or fold some tin foil, then jam the contraption into the airway. This reduces the volume a tad, but the Mellow D is pretty loud anyway. You might want to give it a shot before shoving your Walton's under the Whirlpool( or whatever your whistle-killing washing machine is )

Rey
Tom_Gaul

Post by Tom_Gaul »

If you liked your Generation D get another one to practice on while you wait for your Sindt D which takes about 8 months. After it arrives and you start playing it you will discover that the Generation frog has turned into a silver swan!

Best wishes, Tom
BobJenks

Post by BobJenks »

Lori,

Yes, this is a very dangerous question on THIS board, but it sure makes for fun reading!

Hands down, I would have to say my Burke Session Brass D sings like a whistle should. If I could have only one whistle, that would be it - no question. It goes where I want to go, and doesn't "fight me" along the way!

If you don't want to spend $100 on a whistle, I still love and play my Walton's Mellow D and my Clarke Sweetone. Thom Larson at The Whistle Shop can sell them to you at about $5 apiece, a musical steal if ever there was one. (And there isn't a friendlier supplier around.)

Keep us posted of your quest. Most of us can appreciate your yearning!

-Bob
Ron Rowe

Post by Ron Rowe »

If you are looking for something similar to your old generation, I would heartily reccomend a Clare 2 piece, it is my favorite among inexpensive whistles and I like it better than some of the higher priced whistles I have played. It moves between lower and upper register easily and smoothly, has a bright clear tone with just a touch of a raspy sound to it in the lower register that I love (Kind of like the janis joplin of whistles)all in all a great little whistle.
curioso

Post by curioso »

If you're playing for your own enjoyment, not in a session, I highly recommend the Hoover Traditional bore ($50 at The Whistle Shop). It's lightweight, plenty of volume but soft and sweet sounding (not breathy or raspy), takes little air but doesn't jump the octave too easily, and is really pleasant to play in both first and 2nd octave (not at all shrill!). And it's made in the USA!
Lori Peters

Post by Lori Peters »

Ok guys,

Now I'm REALLY confused! I suppose I can't have too many whistles eh? :wink: Making out a wishlist and will have all of them knocked off the list by years end...*hee hee*
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

A <b>whishtlist</b>! I just got rid of mine. I can't plan like that; it's all about spontaneity for me.
<ul>-Rich</ul>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rich on 2001-07-26 15:37 ]</font>
Lori Peters

Post by Lori Peters »

Well, with 5 kids on one income I HAVE to wish far in advance....never know if I'll actually have the money when that spontaneous moment occurs (although the idea is very intriguing!). Aaaah...to pick it up, play it, love it, then PLUNK the money down....that is such a dream for me! :smile:
Caru

Post by Caru »

I sympathize with you, having recently lost my first whistle to the dryer. I would recommend an Oak D. The sound is smooth and clean, not at all breathy. You have to have fairly good breath control in the lower octave, but this makes the upper octave easy to play, and the octave transition is smooth. (Personally, I don't think the Oak is all that prone to squeaks, but maybe that's just because my first whistle was an Oak and that's what I'm used to.)
LittleMy

Post by LittleMy »

I got an Oak today. MAN what a nice whistle! It does require good breath control but when you get used to it it sounds just beautiful.
LeeMarsh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

Lori,
I notice your from Wis, if thats Wis for Wisconsin. You might want to contact Mike Burke,<a href=http://www.burkewhistles.com/>(Michael Burke Pennywhistle, Co.)</a> he's in your area, makes a wide variety of fine whistles. You may be able to find him at the next Irish festival close to you. You also might want to check out Thom Larson store <a href=http://www.thewhistleshop.com/catalog/catalog.htm>The Whislte Shop</a>, also in your area and carring some great whistles.

and always ...
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.