Speaking of microtonal music...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ErikT
antispam: No

Post by ErikT »

I know that we weren't speaking about it (microtonal music), but I am wondering what the kind folks of this forum know about it. Do you know of any good resources that relate it specifically to winded melody instruments. We had a good discussion a while back that almost touched on different temperaments (ie. where Bb =/ A#) but never really applied it to the whistle.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Erik
DrGiggles
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by DrGiggles »

Okay... Music Theory 101 (You "they don't talk about the music, they play" people who never ask why things work will want to skip this message)

Let's start with the basic question: What is microtonal music? Most western music is based on an octave being subdivided into 12 (almost) equal parts which is called the 12 Tone Equal Temeratment (or 12Tet for short). Microtonal music is based on another subdivision of an octave. 10, 19, and 31 TET are relatively common, but there have been composers who've written pieces with a 43TET.

As far as a comprehensive website for microtonal music, http://www.microtonal.freeservers.com isn't bad; but I haven't found a really comprehensive website as of yet.

In regards to the Bb vs A# point, although it also deals with microtonality, it's a little deeper than that. But we'll have to get into something many players seem to dread (although I really don't know why) - Scales!! (I hear all the grade school band players screaming) :smile:.

Play with the music, date your instruments and enjoy...
-Frank
DrGiggles

Post by DrGiggles »

(con't)

In regards to the whistle, playing microtonal can be difficult to keep consistant (sp - sorry it's late). But by half-holing, and with a practiced ear, 13TET and 15TET are relatively easy. Just remember that the middle of the octave is the tritone (augmented 4th or diminished 5th) and then just split the halves into 6 or 8 even parts as needed. I find the chieftain's wide finger holes make this easy.

Just to scare everyone else, even traditional irish music uses Microtones... Every time you glissando (smear, slide, I don't know what the traditional irish whistle term is) you're playing microtonally.

Anyway, I think that's enough of the first-year music theory...

Go for a hike (with your whistle) and experience the world...

-Frank :smile:
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Thank you, Frank.

What are your (anyone's) experiences with actually playing ancient music on the whistle? Where do you go for music? What tunings do you use? I'm particularly interested in early British tunings. Are there any good resources (books with music and tuning examples)?

Peace,
Erik
Tom_Gaul

Post by Tom_Gaul »

Hi Erik,

I don't know if this would be of interest to you but I have a book called "Tuning In - Microtonality in Electronic Music" by Scott Wilkinson ISBN 0-88188-633-5. Although written mostly for people using synthesizers it has a pretty complete section on theory. It goes into great detail about historical tunings and temperament, ethnic tunings, alternate tunings and scales including the equal temperaments of 19, 24, 31, 53 and a bunch of others that Frank spoke about. This book is really a course in sound engineering for musicians!

Best wishes, Tom
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Thank you, Tom! That's exactly what I was looking for. I'll take a closer look at it.

Erik