Looking for a Shakuhachi or bamboo flute-to buy or trade

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
greenspiderweb
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Looking for a Shakuhachi or bamboo flute-to buy or trade

Post by greenspiderweb »

Hi Folks,

I would like to try the Shakuhachi flute, and saw some I liked online, but I thought someone here might have one they aren't playing anymore that they wouldn't mind selling or trading. I would prefer the 1.8 or 2.1, 2.4 something in that range (low D, C, B), but not expensive (as in trade for Low Whistle).

Or I would also consider a nice lower key bamboo flute, like low D and below.

They wouldn't necessarily have to be in tune with other instruments as long as they were in tune with themselves. As long as they are made well and of good quality, for learning to play.

I have some low whistles (low Ds, Eb) and one nice high d, that I could trade, or if you prefer, I could buy it outright. Any interest, please email or PM me.

Thank you!
~~~~
Barry
perrins57
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by perrins57 »

I have the ABS Shakuhachi Yuu - its a great way to start learning Shak. Its not that expensive (mine was second hand from Ebay) Its easier to play than most cheap bamboo Shaks, its not as likely to split and its harder to break. If you enjoy it, you might then want to consider investing in a decent Root Bamboo Shak, if you dont get on with it, it will be easy to sell on.
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Thanks, Mark!

I did see those on the web, and it is on my list as a consideration. How do you like the tone of it?

I understand the tuning is right on, but I'm more interested in the tone.

Thanks!
~~~~
Barry
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

It's very nice.
~JessieD
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Thanks Jessie!
~~~~
Barry
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

JessieK wrote:It's very nice.
I agree, it doesn't sound like a lump of plastic. Unfortunately or fortunately, its tone sounds like - how well you play it!
It can be made to look remarkably like a bamboo Shak as well. I wood dyed mine and lacquered the bore, here’s one on the net that looks similar to mine
http://home.earthlink.net/~soundwave1/Inga/yuu.htm .
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

How does finger spread compare to a low D whistle

(A person that I know wants to play one, but has very small hands)

PS Thanks for the link to the Yuu.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

It's much easier than the low whistle, because the middle finger isn't used to finger the notes at all.
~JessieD
Thomas-Hastay
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

Http://www.shakuhachi.com/

Monty Levenson (site owner) used to have a selection of used instruments for sale. You could also consider the "Craft Manuals" section and make one of your own(?)
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Thomas-Hastay wrote:Http://www.shakuhachi.com/

Monty Levenson (site owner) used to have a selection of used instruments for sale. You could also consider the "Craft Manuals" section and make one of your own(?)
I made one very similar to this a few years ago, and it really played well. Very easy to make (not so easy to learn to play)

http://www.fides.dti.ne.jp/~sogawa/englishpagepvc.html
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Hey Mark, that had occured to me too about putting some wood coloration on it, and the flute in the link you sent looks great!

I'm still not sure about learning Shakuhachi, it seems the consensus is that it's pretty difficult to make it sound good, let alone play it well. At least that is my impression from all the comments I've read so far.

And I still may prefer a bamboo instrument, just because of the tone and the feel, even if I do just get one that is in tune with itself. A friend of mine is generously sending me a bamboo quenacho to see if I like it, which uses a similar end blown embouchure cutout, but with the diatonic scale instead of pentatonic. He played Scarborough Fair/The Selkie on the Clips and Snips "Non-Whistle" page on the quenacho, and also an Andean piece, and it sounded great with him playing it, as usual!

In the low price range I am looking in, I don't think many deal in used instruments, that's basically why I asked here on Chiff.

And as far as making one, it might be a fun project sometime, but I don't have much of a place to work on things like that. Personally, with the difficulty of the instrument, I would rather have someone who knows what they are doing make me one that I know plays well enough so I don't start out with a disadvantage there!

Thanks for your help, people! I don't know where I will end up with this, but I would like to try Shakuhachi because it sounds so beautiful, and also it's such a different instrument and scale, even if it isn't easy!
Last edited by greenspiderweb on Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
~~~~
Barry
mukade

Post by mukade »

Monty Levenson's student models are very nice instruments.
They are much better than most cheaper root-end shaks.

My teacher here in Japan ordered one after he played mine, and he uses it for his students. He said it's the only cheap shak he has heard that comes close to playing like an expensive one.

Monty is also a very nice chap.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

I've made several home plumbing pipe Shaks - one sounded remarkably good. The hard bit it getting the angle of the blowing edge right (especially without the proper tools) But its fun, cheap and well worth a go.
I enjoy playing my Shak, it did take a while to make a decent sound - twenty minutes for my first proper note - but once you've done it, its a lot easier the next time. The main drawback for me is the minor pentatonic scale. I like to play with other musicians and the Shak scale limits what you can play. One day I may get a Shak with seven holes, you can still play the minor pentatonic scale, but you can also play along to a wider range of tunes as well.
Once you've got to the place where you can reliably get notes on a Shak, getting a sound out of Quenas or other ethnic flutes is a cinch! Also the Shak is unparalleled for improving your breathing control. Playing low Shaw's or my Reyburn wide bore C is much easier after you've played Shak for a while. Now when I hear whistle players moan about the breath requirements of some whistles I just think - you wimps you should try a Shak! :lol:

(Name's Mark btw)
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Yes, Mukade, I have been considering one of Monty's Tiger Bamboo Meditation Shaks, I love the look of that Tiger Bamboo he uses! It's also good to know that his student models (not in my price range for now) are highly regarded.

I've also been looking at Perry Yung's meditation Shaks too. He seems to make a quality flute too for either a beginner such as me, or a more serious student or Shak player. Here's his website link:

http://www.yungflutes.com/log/

Mark, I did see one of those hybrids, by David Brown, it looks interesting!, here's a link:

http://www.shakuhachi.com.au/16.html

Someone else had a transverse Pentatonic flute, I imagine there are lots of variations out there. I would rather just get a trusted quality flute even if it is an entry level flute, such as Monty's or Perry's meditation Shaks, if I decide on bamboo to start rather than the more serious student's ABS Yuu. I think it will be one of these for me, unless I get an offer here on Chiff for a used one that someone doesn't play.

It's nice to have choices, but sometimes it takes a while to narrow them down. Thanks everyone for helping me with this!
~~~~
Barry
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

Thanks for the link GSW.
Erik the Flutemaker does transverse pentatonics. eriktheflutemaker.com

(Name's Mark btw)