The Dreaded Question:

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dawin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dawin »

Which one should I get?

I currently have an Oak, that is pretty, a bit too harsh and squeaky, even with a sanded blade. I'd like a little more sweetness or roundness in the tone, but without sacrificing loudness.

Also I dont mind a little chiff (breathy whistle noise), as long as there's a clean hop to upper registers.

Lastly, I'm quite fond of all Black (especially matte) but can live with nickel and black. I'd prefer to stay away from plastic or brass-colored bores.

In summary: Black and/or nickel, sweet tone, good volume.

I've narrowed it down to:

Feadog in black (are they gloss or matte?)
Walton's Little Black Whistle
Clarke Sweetone in Black
Shaw

Any Suggestions?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dawin on 2001-07-24 18:53 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dawin on 2001-07-24 18:55 ]</font>
brownja

Post by brownja »

I have an all black feadog that's my favorite whistle. It's got a low gloss finish. My "little black D" is fine too. It feels very delicate and it not quite as nice in the second octave but, still fine.
Then, there's all the pvc whistles....Never mind, i just re-read your post.
jb

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: brownja on 2001-07-24 18:59 ]</font>
StevePower

Post by StevePower »

The Feadog is low glossy (near matt) as mentioned above. The Clarke comes in a nice black and silver (glossy). Is the sound relevant???? If so, I'd suggest avoiding the Walton.

Steve :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: StevePower on 2001-07-24 19:12 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: StevePower on 2001-07-24 19:14 ]</font>
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

Do try a Generation whistle. Its my most used whistle right now and it has very very good tone, octave hops and stuff. I definitely prefer it over most cheap whistles around (and some expensive ones too). They do occasionally require some tweaking but I think the quality control is better nowadays.

From your list of other whistles, I've only have the Little Black, and Sweetone. I've played a Feadog for a while but I don't have a clear impression of it. Sweetone would be a pretty good whistle if you like a clear tone. Its easy to reach all the notes, and doesn't have much breathiness. Its also low on breath requirements.

Little Black whistle on the other hand has a more breathy tone (not too much). Its very light, and I think has a rather unique timbre/tone. Which whistle you chose is up to personal preference really.
ErikT
antispam: No

Post by ErikT »

Hello Dawin,

I have each of the whistles that you listed and would put the Shaw or the Walton at the top of the list. These are really two entirely different types of whistles with two distinctive sounds. I would get both.

You might also want to try an Acorn. I just received a bunch of them (six actually). They are consistently nice whistles; could us a bit of tweeking here and there, but nice enough that I'm not going to make the time for it. As far as looks are concerned, Acorn makes a black barrel with black fipple that is very sharp (as in snazzy).

Happy hunting,
Erik

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ErikT on 2001-07-25 02:51 ]</font>
ThorntonRose
antispam: No

Post by ThorntonRose »

I had a Feadog D, and it was a lemon. However, I have heard that the mouthpiece has been redesigned, so it may be better now.

The Waltons Little Black is nice. It has a soft/sweet/mellow tone but is a little low on volume.

I, too, didn't want a plastic whistle. But, I bought a Dixon, and I have to say that it is really nice. It's all black, with a touch of gold, and has a good sound with moderate volume. I don't think that you would be unhappy with it.

~ Thornton
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

It's the new Feadog mouthpiece that doesn't quite cut it (with the bump near the window). The old one (say, five to ten years ago, I guess?) was divine.

(I can't wait to try the Walton fipple with Feadog body combination and see if I can't duplicate my prized old Feadog.)
<ul>-Rich</ul>
Dawin

Post by Dawin »

Thanks, for your input, everyone.

I tried to sift the facts & opinions, and based on the matte black finish, a breathier tone, and the controversial Feadog mouthpiece, I've ordered a Walton's Little Black to replace my 'squeaky' Oak.

Fortunately, it was only $7 to order, so if I dislike the Little Black Whistle, I'll just try a different one.

I also own a bamboo D whistle made by this fellow ( http://www.eriktheflutemaker.com ). It is quite good looking with a soft tone, but the lower notes are much quieter than most manufactured whistles.
-Dawin