Forget Tone... Let's talk Range!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
DrGiggles
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by DrGiggles »

Greetings all!

My Girlfriend's been stealing my whistles! (actually with my permission)

...And she's been having trouble hitting the higher notes (A'+) on anything but the SweetTone. Personally, I don't have trouble hitting notes up to F#" on any of my whistles EXCEPT the Chieftain (B' and higher just don't like to come out).

Does anyone know any mid-priced whistles ($100 or less) that are easy (I mean EASY!!) to get at least 2 octaves out of?

Cheers!
Frank
Bretton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Hi,

Sindts are pretty good about having an easy playing 2nd octave and the old style Burke WBB whistles are too. I'm picking up a new modle Aluminum Pro-Session Burke today, so I"ll let you know how that is later.

I also recently got one of the newer Tony Dixon whistles, and it has a fairly easy 2nd ocatve. It's not real loud, but has a nice sound, is on the cheap side, and you can get one quick from The Whistle Shop.

Glenn Schultz can make a Water Weasel that plays a bit easier in the 2nd octave (if you ask him to), but it still takes more breath pressure than the above choices.

I haven't played one yet, but the Cillian
O'Briain Improved D has been getting good reviews, and should be easy playing too.

-Brett

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bretton on 2001-07-24 12:51 ]</font>
ThorntonRose
antispam: No

Post by ThorntonRose »

How long has your girlfriend been playing whistle? Breath control, which just comes with practice, is definitely a factor in hitting the notes at the topic of the second octave. When I started learning the whistle, I could barely get to high G, but eventually I could get all the way to high D on any of my whistles.

I don't know that you will find an easier whistle than a Sweetone, but you might try a Dixon.

~ Thornton

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ThorntonRose on 2001-07-24 13:13 ]</font>
FairEmma

Post by FairEmma »

Dr G,

See my post on "My Cillian O'Briain." It is an absolute dream for ease in the upper registers (and I have a Dixon which I adore, but it isn't nearly so easy up there). I have *never* played an easier whistle than the O'Briain!!

I got mine from Shanna Quay, paid by cheque in US dollars ($25) and had it within the week. Don't let the "international" thing deter you - it doesn't get much easier than that.

luck
FE
DrGiggles

Post by DrGiggles »

She's only been playing for a little less than a month. I've only been playing for about 3 months, but I've been playing flute for many years.

We've tried her on the Dixon, she can hit high A pretty well, but B' isn't very consistant. The Dixon still remains MY Personal Favorite whistle... but I just bought a Silkstone Bb from Thom, so we'll see... :smile:

I was actually thinking about buying one of the weasels with my Bush refund money (if it ever comes...). However, with the exception of a a Feadog and a couple of Generations, I've bought all my whistles from Thom; I feel like I would be going against a wonderful salesman if I buy my whistles elsewhere. Oh, Thom, tell me you can get your hands on some weasels... gosh that sounds bad! :smile:

-Frank

-Frank
Wandering_Whistler

Post by Wandering_Whistler »

I personally find my Silkstone PVC D easier than the sweetone to hit all the way up to B'. By some marvel of engineering, the volume also stays somewhat consistent (unlike some of my whistles, which have a LARGE volume difference between B and B').
Mal

Post by Mal »

I just checked my three whistles, an Oak D,
A Susato D and a Generation D. All not only played the second octave easily, but well into the third octave: A" on the Oak,(oxx xxo): and B" on the Susato and C" on the Generation (identical fingering -- oxo xox).
adriancarrington

Post by adriancarrington »

Of the cheap whistles I use, the easiest to play in the upper register is without doubt my Clarke Original, which will also take you into the 3rd octave. Some of these whistles require different air pressures, so this may not hold 100% true in every case, but I strongly recommend that you try a couple if possible.
We will always have to find more air to reach those higher notes, but for me the key thing is for the increase in pressure to be GRADUAL as we ascend the scale. Having to make rapid alterations in breath propulsion during a rapid tune leaves you with the sensation that you are having to "fight" the whistle, if you see what I mean.
I almost always pick up an easy to play whistle, especially when learning new tunes, but I do return to my more difficult whistles for a change, and sometimes for the challenge of it. I think that like me you will find that you will find it increasingly easy to adapt to different instruments over time, but some whistles are just horrible in the high register no matter how you try...ditch them!!
brownja

Post by brownja »

Hoover.
I recently got a Hoover narrow bore D. It's real easy to get into the second octave. Tone is good and it looks good too. At $50 it falls in the "in between" price category.
Cheers,
jb
Phlebas

Post by Phlebas »

The Cillian O Briain "tweaked" whistle is awesome in the upper octave. I can get almost two-and-a-half octaves out of mine, the breath requirements are low, and the tones are excellent. Best cheap whistle I've ever had for range, ease of play, and sound quality. My advice: Get one! You won't regret it. His Low whistles are a dream too, if you're interested.

Phlebas