A question on holding the whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Fishie

A question on holding the whistle

Post by Fishie »

I used to hold the whistle with my right pinkie on the whistle as all times. I found this to be restricting the movement of my right ring finger, so I started palying with the right pinkie off at all times. This helped with finger movement, but when I play C# with all fingers off, the whistle is on the verge of falling! What is the tendency among most whistlers to do?

I suppose I can play C# with the bottom hole covered...
Danner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Danner »

I've always heard that you should put your pinky on the whistle to stabilize it. I naturally take my pinky off for D (all fingers down) from my classical flute training and leave it down most of the rest of the time. I think that most people here will agree to experiment and do what is most comfortable for you.
"'Tis deeds, not blood, which determine the worth of a being." -Dennis L. McKiernan
dfernandez77
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Get
Down
Boogie oogie oogie!

I keep it down.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
dapple

Post by dapple »

Stabalizing the whistle with my third finger on the D hole is more comfortable for me than keeping my little finger on the tube.
~ David
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

I let my pinkie drop whenever it feels like it needs to stabilize the whistle. Otherwise, I let it stay up.

I don't think about it, but when I was very new, it was very distracting to think about.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

It took me a bit of getting used to, but I cover the bottom hole to stabilize the whistle for C# and for B rolls. In fact you can keep it down for an A with very little tone change on many whistles, expecially in fast tunes. For slow tunes, I try very hard to cover and uncover the correct holes for best sound.

At first, I was very conscious of the effort of covering the hole, but after a few months it was pretty natural.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Jack

Post by Jack »

I play with my pinky in the air on smaller instruments, but on lower keys, which are larger, I find that I keep my pinky on. This is because there is more room between finger holes on low whistles so it doesn't get in the way as much, but also because low whistles are heavier and need more support.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

It seems that on E and D I have it up but down the rest of the time.
stratochicnic

Post by stratochicnic »

Yeah, it's definitely good to use your pinky to balance the whistle. I keep it down for all of the notes except E and D. You can also use your right ring finger as a balance finger and place it over the D hole. But this could be problematic when you play fast tunes and have to keep switching fingers. I think the pinky works best ;)
-- Nicki

"Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn." - Charlie Parker
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I have it down all the time.
stratochicnic

Post by stratochicnic »

Cynth wrote:I have it down all the time.
For all the notes? If you have it down for the low notes, it can restrict your movement.
-- Nicki

"Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn." - Charlie Parker
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Well, I haven't noticed that so far---but then I might be having trouble and not know it. Do you mean that I might not be able to go from low D to low E as quickly? Or maybe not get the bottom hole covered as well as I want? Not quite sure what movement would be restricted. It seems like if I don't have my pinky down the whistle is waving around all over the place and I can't count on the holes being where they are supposed to be.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

stratochicnic wrote:
Cynth wrote:I have it down all the time.
For all the notes? If you have it down for the low notes, it can restrict your movement.
I have mine down all the time and haven't noticed any restriction either in changing notes or in slides on the E and D holes. I think it would drive me crazy to start lifting it for those two note at this point, though it's probably not that hard if you start out that way.

I started out with it up all the time, but after my Burke flew out of my hands one time, I switched. I did go through a period when I tensed it (and both thumbs), but once I worked on relaxing it, it was fine.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

I'll agree with Cynth and Darwin here. :thumbsup:

I switched to down all the time after I clocked myself in the nose with my Shaw. :lol:

I think it was on the lesson where Bill Ochs introduces C#.

It still makes me laugh thinking of it. :)
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Fishie

Post by Fishie »

Thanks for all the input. I think I'll try a few different approahes. I like having my pinkie off, but maybe I can train myself to lift it up and down as I need to.