Backpressure and asthma?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Backpressure and asthma?

Post by brewerpaul »

Hi-- quick question for any asthmatic whistle players...
Have you ever had a whistle that had so much backpressure that it triggered an attack of your asthma?
I sent off a nice Blackwood whistle only to receive an e-mail from an unhappy player who told me that the pressure was so great that she couldn't play this whistle without having an attack.
I'm not doubting her and will be receiving the whistle back for either revoicing (if possible) or refund. I'm just curious about how common this is.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
buddhu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by buddhu »

I'm mildly asthmatic - so mildly that I'm probably not the best qualified to comment... All I can say is that the only times whistling has had even a minute effect on my asthma has been after long practice sessions where I would put it own to poor breath control due to my relative inexperience, rather than any feature of the whistle.

To be frank, I'd be surprised if the backpressure from a whistle was a factor in asthma attacks. Anyone with asthma of such severity for that to happen might be considered unwise in taking up a wind instrument in the first place. Certainly I'd recommend they see their quack for advice before continuing, if things are that bad.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I have been told that playing a wind instrument sometimes helps people with asthma.
Scott McCallister

Post by Scott McCallister »

Ya, I have seen the same thing. Wind instruments can help asthmatics. Don't really know if there is an advanced stage in that disease that would preclude whistle playing. The kids I knew were about mid-range with their affliction. Couldn't really compete in sports. They said playing in the band reduced the number of attacks they were having. One played clarinet, the other saxophone. Both have substantially higher back pressure than a whistle (unless you have designed one with a solid fipple and no windway! :lol: :lol: )

Not to cast aspersions, but I wonder if this person isn't having a touch of buyer's remorse? :(
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

Jack

Post by Jack »

I think it's that learning to control your breath better is actually what helps with the asthma.
barstool

Post by barstool »

Asthmatics may be set off by something as small as dust in from the fabrication process. Exotic wood dust may be the real culprit here.

Unless it was a Delrin whistle :D

~B
dapple

Post by dapple »

(I deleted my confusing post)
Last edited by dapple on Tue May 17, 2005 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~ David
Jack

Post by Jack »

barstool wrote:Asthmatics may be set off by something as small as dust in from the fabrication process. Exotic wood dust may be the real culprit here.
I didn't think of that. It makes sense, though.
Dana

Post by Dana »

It could be the wood, or the oil causing the problems. Any backpressure is actually a good thing for asthmatics, since it opens up the air passages.

Dana
stratochicnic

Post by stratochicnic »

What exactly is back pressure? :-? I did a search for it on the forums and still can't find a definition :p
-- Nicki

"Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn." - Charlie Parker
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

It is allergy season and I manage to play Flute with my asthma going I think it is the wood that could be causing the problem.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

dhigbee wrote:It could be the wood, or the oil causing the problems. Any backpressure is actually a good thing for asthmatics, since it opens up the air passages.

Dana
That's what I was always taught. A spirometer is basically a backpressure device, right?
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Yes it is.
Feadin

Post by Feadin »

Nicki:
Back pressure is how strong you have to blow to play the whistle. It's not how much air you need, but the pressure of the air in the windway.

Paul:
I've asthma too, fotunately now is getting a lot better with the years... I'm making much more exercise and that helps, but it was pretty bad when I was a child. The doctor always told me to inflate ballons, so my lungs will get stronger. I guess it worked....
The lung exercise (more backpressure) will likely produce some asthma symptoms, but it's actually good for the long run.

Hope it helps...
Cristian Feldman
Jack

Post by Jack »

stratochicnic wrote:What exactly is back pressure? :-? I did a search for it on the forums and still can't find a definition :p
Another reason this forum needs a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) sticky thread.