Thank you all sooo much!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Curlyblue
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Curlyblue »

Hello Everybody,

After six months of rediscovering whistles, discovering this messageboard and so many great websites I just wanted to come out of the closet and let you know how invaluable you all have been to me.

I can't thank everybody but of course without Dale I never would have known (that there was) so much about these beautiful instruments. Since January this year most of my spare time was spent reading the postings of the messageboards as far back as my eyes would let me. Also practising, playing and listening have taken up a lot of my time. I've enjoyed every minute of it! Being a passionate person at nature, I knew from past experiences what happens when I get really interested about something. Well I guess I don't have to explain to everyone here what happened! Playing, listening, reading, talking (and talking) and of course buying whistles!! I have indeed learned very much.
Unfortunately for me, living in Holland, whistles are scarcely heard of. There are no places where you can hear other whistlers play or different whistles (and keys). That's were C&F has been invaluable for me. Based on your postings I have decided which whistles to go for. Thus I also I developed WHOA. Should I thank you all for that as well?......

Well, I won't make this very long, leaves you time to play.......

Questions from me will follow shortly, I'm sure!

Bye,
Ilana

p.s. are there any dutchies on this board?
p.p.s. are there any Californians (non whistle related curiosity)
Mick Woodruff

Post by Mick Woodruff »

It's kind of addictive isn't it, Ilana? :smile:<P>Mick
Curlyblue

Post by Curlyblue »

I agree with you Mick!

Another source of inspiration I forgot to mention is the playing of other whistlers!

Mick's website is well-known and absolutely inspiring to me. Also Clips&Snips is a joy, etc. etc.....

Whistling is joy! Inspirational and addictive! But I would gladly receive treatment if I could play like one of the guru's!
pixyy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

Hoi Ilana,

Nice to see another dutchie on the board.
I live in Denmark now, and actually only started playing the whistle after I moved here. I guess it's the same in Holland: not a great variety of whistles in shops...
But I'm sure there are sessions in some of the many Irish pubs.

Some LINKS
http://www.tara-promotion.nl/sessie.htm
http://www-th.phys.rug.nl/~doosje/nederland.html

Even if you don't want to play along in the sessions, you might meet some nice folks that you can get together with to play.

You are right, Chiff&Fipple, and this message board are GREAT!
Actually, I met another whistle player in Copenhagen through this board, discovering we were practically neighbours!!
He got me in contact with other musicians and teacher and , and I'm having great fun.

Veel plezier
Jeroen

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: pixyy on 2001-07-24 03:30 ]</font>
Curlyblue

Post by Curlyblue »

Hoi Jeroen,

Nice to hear from another dutch whistler!

The links were great, I'll be going to check out a few Irish Music Bars tomorrow and probably the rest of my holiday (had to delay my vacation because I wanted to wait for a McHaffie whistle set to arrive). They're not here yet, but that won't keep me from whistling when I have all the time in the world.

Something completely different. How do you explain whistles to people that never heard of them? It's hard to translate the english whistle specifics.

Maybe I can show the picture of "The Rocky Mountain Boys"......... Authorized use only, of course.

Ilana