The world of whistles IN IRELAND

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ChrisLaughlin
antispam: No

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

I knew this would be a controversial issue :wink: First off, I didn't mean to offend anyone, especially not any of the wonderful whistle craftsmen, Mr. hardy included. I myself love the low whistle and have quite a collection of them. Indeed, low whistles do appear on many CDs these days and are often part of the major bands. I think they sound great. I also think that the reason low whistle shave become such a big part of the CD and gigue scene is that it is next to impossible to have flutes and pipes in all the various keys that the likes of McGoldrick, Lunasa, and McSherry use on their albums, while it is relatively inexpensive to buy whistles in all those keys. I love low whistles, but that doesn't mean they have been completely accepted into the Irish tradition over in Ireland, at least not in the west... maybe in Dublin. I've seen a LOT of pipers over here, and not one of the m pulled out a low D, though many had high D whistles that they broke out from time to time. Anyways, the point of my post was not to put down low whistles, nor fancy whistles, but to just let people know that for the most part, people over here just spend 5 punt for a Generation and practice until they've mastered it. I HAVE heard numerous Irish musicians, notably flute and pipes players say they detest the low whistle. I would welcome one to a session, but they wouldn't. On another note, Davy Spillane plays, except for his newest Cd, new age Celtic music, definately not straight traditional. McGoldrick, one of my favorites, was recently described in my flute class with a very, very prominent Sligo flute legend, as "Celtic elevator music". This is the view from Sligo and Clare. I can't speak for Dublin but that's the way it is here. Also, I think people would talk right over you around here if you tried to play "The Lonesome Boatman" in a session. That's just the way it is. So... let the debate continue.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ChrisLaughlin on 2001-07-26 12:16 ]</font>
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I suspect that whistle playing in
America is likely to go it's own way,
at least somewhat, and become less
traditional--partly because of
expensive whistles. They sound great
with American folk music, klezmer, blues,
country, middle eastern music, Bach, and
on and on. Lots of 'non-traditional'
music sounds better on Copelands
and Abells than it does on Feadogs.
Celtic music may always be the core
repertoire, but hey, it's the new world,
after all.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

Interesting stuff. I guess the only thing I'd contribute is that, in my opinion, there is the world of whistle-in-Irish-traditional-music and then there is the shadowy world of whistle-in-other-music. For whatever reason, and I think some of it is of the "IT'S JUST THE WAY IT IS DONE" kind of reason, the trad favors inexpensive whistles. I don't find this particularly RATIONAL, but personal preferences never really are. And, there is something cool about an under-$10 instrument holding up against $2500+ concertinas and expensive flutes, etc. So, I can only identify three reasons for the trad bias against more expensive instruments:

1. If a cheap instrument is good and serviceable, why spend more?

2. There's a roughness to the sound of cheap instruments that is compatible with the style of music. Variation on that theme: The expensive whistles sound "too good." "Too sweet" "too pure." That kinda thing. This reason, I think, DOES have some real merit.

3. The inexpensive instruments were all that were available for a long time, and decades worth of familiarity and loyalty were established.

Dale

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DaleWisely on 2001-07-26 22:30 ]</font>
Whistlepeg

Post by Whistlepeg »

Dale,
You make some excellent points, and I think you hit the nail on the head! Thanks.
Sue
Bevoi

Post by Bevoi »

Here here!
I was in Cork for over a year, and I must agree that expensive whistles are rather looked at funny, if not down upon (probably because many of them couldn't afford such a thing, yet its not unheard of to spend several hundred if not grand on a good fiddle bow). But yes, it does seem that pipers are almost exclusively the ones who play the low whistle. The flute was a much more popular instrument, and all decent players who I met could pick my Overton Low D and crank out quite a lovely tune or two.
LKtz

Post by LKtz »

On 2001-07-25 07:04, Phil Hardy wrote:
It seem that that the majority of low whistles are the piper in Ireland,open any piper case and there'll be at least one Low D Overton,Chieftain or Kerry Pro.These whistles always seem to go hand in hand with piping.
It's funny even in the US I find that many of the best low whistle players are pipers. I recently met a phenominal piper at a camp, and sure enough when a session started, he took out his low whistle and truely kick some arse on it. So that's my two sense.