Playing in crosswinds...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bobj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Bobj »

I just started playing outdoors with some other folks and became disconcerted when the notes sometime would just not come (I've only been playing for a few months - still very much the beginner). I discovered that this is apparently an effect of the wind passing the whistle from the side - I can easily play in the wind if my back is to the wind - evidently it helps to have a large head to block the wind.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for playing outdoors on a mildly windy day?
ErikT
antispam: No

Post by ErikT »

If you gather 3 or 4 folks from the crowd you can have them stand in a line and block the wind for you. If there's no crowd I find this practice difficult at best.

Alternately you could stand behind a building, Berma Shave sign or bus enclosure.

Seriously, someone the other day gave the excellent hint of turning the head of the whistle upsidedown and playing it that way. Still can't remove all of the wind issues but certainly helps.

:wink: Erik

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ErikT on 2001-07-23 14:04 ]</font>
ndjr

Post by ndjr »

I have seen some makes of whistles -- sorry, I can't remember what they are -- that actually have panels on either side of the window to prevent breezes from blowing your note away. Some organ pipes are similarly made.
Best regards,

Neil Dickey