Unknown whistle, anyone?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Cayden

Unknown whistle, anyone?

Post by Cayden »

Picked up one of these this morning in Ennis for 4.50 in a (school-) book shop.

There's no identification on the whistle, they came in green head/brass tube and red/nickle plated.

Nice little whistle and as close to the older Generations as ever I have seen one.

Anyone?

talasiga
antispam: No

tt4tp 2'

Post by talasiga »

thats funny there is no id. were they all like that? whats the usual story with no name stuff then? well I guess you may need to test them for consistency. that might tell you something.

i reckon it'd be hard for a product with no name to bring a defamation action.

:)
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

Mel Bay? I've not had one, but I seem to remember them described as a redtop with a nickel plated body.

--James
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Looks like a Clare I have. I'll confirm when I get home.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I played five or so from a bucket on the counter they were pretty much the same. I was buying the schoolbooks for the youngfella, whistel is on the curriculum of the primary schools so the bookshop had loads of them, half of them greenheaded Feadogs, the rest of them these. I don't think Mel Bay would be on the market here, Generation folkwhistles are not sold here either. The head is very close to the Generation but the shape of the 'bump' is different from both the present and the pre 80's design. Tube is fairly light. They're sensitive blowers (but the type always is) but not scratchy or anything at all. As I said, not a bad one at all.

I don't see Clare whistles often (contrary to what you might expect) so I wouldn't know.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

It looks like a Clare, but a Clare would have its name on it. My guess is that someone saw the commercial success of the Meg and got a factory in China to do cheap (but evidently well made) knock offs of the Clare.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I am not sure about 'the commercial succes of the Meg' I rarely, if ever at all see any of those. The concert I was at last week had over 100 children playing in it and no Meg (or Sweetone for that matter) in sight. I expect these are produced with the Irish National school curriculum in mind and sold throug hchannels supplying that market. I f I were to pick between the Feadog and this one (which was the choice available in the bookshop, both at the same price) I'd go for this one.
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

Looks like a Clare head to me, too. My red-top Clare on a two-part brass body has no maker-ID or other markings. I like it better than other cheap D Gen-style whistles I've played. That's probably it.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

On the tube, are the tone holes ever so slightly raised along the edges, feeling almost like they had been punched from the inside out instead of the other way?

--James
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Peter Laban wrote:I am not sure about 'the commercial succes of the Meg' I rarely, if ever at all see any of those. The concert I was at last week had over 100 children playing in it and no Meg (or Sweetone for that matter) in sight. I expect these are produced with the Irish National school curriculum in mind and sold throug hchannels supplying that market. I f I were to pick between the Feadog and this one (which was the choice available in the bookshop, both at the same price) I'd go for this one.
I doubt if Megs or Sweetones will ever find any market in Ireland, nor should they. But something resembling a Clare or Feadog might find a market, especially if it could be made in China for a fraction of the cost of making it in Ireland. I bought a licensed Guinness hat a few months ago and was chagrined to find a label that said "Made in China."
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Craig Stuntz

Post by Craig Stuntz »

blackhawk wrote:It looks like a Clare, but a Clare would have its name on it.
The Clare whistles only have their name on a sticker on the fipple, as far as I'm aware. I've seen enough of them without the sticker that I guess they either fall off easily or occasionally ship without them.

-Craig
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

I would say that's a Clare.

I pulled one out of my collection, and it looks identical.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Craig Stuntz

Post by Craig Stuntz »

They appear to sometimes ship without the sticker. I found this auction via David Le Bas's site so I'm sure it's genuine.

Peter, did you like the sound of the nickel version more than the brass or were they pretty much the same? I have only heard the brass Clares.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I generally prefer the brightness of the nickle although there isn't a huge difference. These seem only nickle plated on the outside, the inside has the brass colour.
Craig Stuntz

Post by Craig Stuntz »

Thanks for your thoughts, Peter. I've been meaning to pick up one of these whistles.

-Craig