Best Low D Whistle???????

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Darwin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Darwin »

cavefish wrote:bleasy was known for inconsistancies
So, Overton and Copeland are totally consistent? That's not what I've heard about Copelands.

Here's a quote from JessieK, who's owned more than a couple of Copelands: "The hand-voiced whistles of high-end makers like Abell and Copeland, for example, are unfortunately not always good."

I'll admit that the only hint of inconsistency in Overtons that I've seen has come from a rather avid Chieftain fan.

And which of those two is the Bleazey design a copy of? Neither the Overton nor the Copeland Web page shows any wooden whistles at all.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Wanderer »

Darwin wrote:
cavefish wrote:bleasy was known for inconsistancies
So, Overton and Copeland are totally consistent? That's not what I've heard about Copelands.

Here's a quote from JessieK, who's owned more than a couple of Copelands: "The hand-voiced whistles of high-end makers like Abell and Copeland, for example, are unfortunately not always good."

I'll admit that the only hint of inconsistency in Overtons that I've seen has come from a rather avid Chieftain fan.

And which of those two is the Bleazey design a copy of? Neither the Overton nor the Copeland Web page shows any wooden whistles at all.
I've owned two Copeland low D's..one was considerably less reedy, and easier to blow than the other.

I've owned three Copeland high D's. The two brass behaved very similarly to each other. The nickel is very sweet and easy-blowing in both octaves.
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

YOU HAVE SOME POINT THERE ? IM SURE THERE IS , MAY BE I SPOKE TO HARSH, THIS WAS MY OPINION ONLY, AND FOR THE RECORD I HAVE HAD TO SEND A OVERTON LOW Bb BACK BEFORE
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

For the record, and as an owner of ten or so Copelands, they have a bit of a history of inconsistency. The whistles are made from the finest materials and with a great deal of effort and expert craftsmanship. However, over the years, I have experienced a degree of inconsistency. One of my Copelands is the one that goes to the afterlife with me - the sought after soulful and balanced sound much sought after. In the past, I've had two whistles that were absolutely horrible - these were returned and either replaced or retuned by the maker.

It has been said that in an effort to achieve consistency, Michael has in the past couple of years found "formulas" that in effect dumb down the artistic process, thereby providing consistently good but without chance of greatness whistles. I don't know this to be true or otherwise.

Of the eight Copelands I currently own (some older and some more recent), one is irreplaceably unreproduceably fantastic and the remainder range from good to very good.

Copelands take a lot of hits, I believe, because they are relatively expensive and because new makers are making wonderfully consistent, easy to play whistles that are much cheaper yet attractive and well crafted. That said, a Copeland is still a Copeland, though, and instantly recognizable as such.

Bottom line is this is just part of what keeps our whistle world interesting.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

cavefish wrote:YOU HAVE SOME POINT THERE ? IM SURE THERE IS , MAY BE I SPOKE TO HARSH
May be.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

HANDS DOWN AND HANDS UP THE BEST LOW D CURRENTLY ON THE MARKET IS THE NEW KERRY SONGBIRD LOW D...ESPECIALLY WITH THE MODIFICATION WHICH HAS BEEN DONE TO THE MOUTH PIECE.

JUST MY OPINION........AS ALWAYS
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

KDMARTINKY wrote:HANDS DOWN AND HANDS UP THE BEST LOW D CURRENTLY ON THE MARKET IS THE NEW KERRY SONGBIRD LOW D...ESPECIALLY WITH THE MODIFICATION WHICH HAS BEEN DONE TO THE MOUTH PIECE.

JUST MY OPINION........AS ALWAYS
Have you played the Alba Q1? (I mean the one made by Stacey O'Gorman.)
/Bloomfield
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

LOL....Bloomy. :lol:
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I have to agree regarding Copelands. The newest one I own is a Low F and it's probably three years old. Maybe four. (Or five--I have time issues). But paying close attention to what a lot of people have said about Copelands, they've not been consistent in the past.
flutecollector

Re: Best Low D Whistle???????

Post by flutecollector »

if you like a nice rich and warm sound, and a wooden whistle, then sweetheart whisle is the best for me, the site is sweetheartflute.com. and for a metal one, the best for me is copeland, at copelandwoodwinds.com
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Has anyone here had a chance to compare MK whistles against other high-enders? I'd be very interested to hearing from experienced players how they rate.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
regor

Post by regor »

So do I. I am seriously considering getting an MK Low D. I already have a Kerry Songbird Low D, which is very nice, but I'd like a tuneable whistle and the MK is a very attractive (look and sound) option. I also consider Sweetheart but it seems impossible to get a sound bite from it from anyone :-? I am considering the Copeland as well. Difficult choice.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Tyghress wrote:AFAIK Sweetheart....as soon as that reamer comes in. . .

Compared to:

Kerry, Burke, Cook all in my possession

Based on reach, breath requirements, stability of tone, looks and maintenance.
Hey Tyg-- you're prejudiced! :wink:
But I'm not, and I agree: my Sweetheart Resonance Low D is simply fabulous. It has a clean woody flute- like sound that I love. It is beautifully made and beautiful to look at and is just about the easiest low D I've ever fingered.
Seriously, Tyghress is a good, objective judge of whistles.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
shadoe42

Post by shadoe42 »

brewerpaul wrote: Hey Tyg-- you're prejudiced! :wink:
But I'm not, and I agree: my Sweetheart Resonance Low D is simply fabulous. It has a clean woody flute- like sound that I love. It is beautifully made and beautiful to look at and is just about the easiest low D I've ever fingered.
Seriously, Tyghress is a good, objective judge of whistles.
Got a sound byte anywhere BrewerPaul?
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

Copeland or Reyburn narrow bore in my opinion.
"Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..."