Overton D/C modal: In love all overton again

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Overton D/C modal: In love all overton again

Post by Bloomfield »

Oh, I'm smitten.

I've been meaning to do this beauty justice and write a big full-blown review, but I've been busy. You'll have to settle with this for now.

That's my woefully meager collection of Overtons. Can you spot the D/C modal? It's as long as the C and right next to blue hi D. You'll notice the offset c-hole.

Here is a picture from the Overton webpage:

You can see the extra holes: a c-natural hole at the bottom, off-set, and played with the pinky of the bottom hand (which had better be the right hand; unless you have Colin put it on the other side). The other hole is on the back of the whistle and sounds an f-natural, if played like this:

xxx xx(o)oo

The parentheses show the f-natural hole on the back.

Right. That's a lot of holes for a whistle. I know you all are worried about my health and hirsute fingertips by now, so let me just pause to say: It's a long way to Moellenhauer. The D/C modal is a whistle and only a whistle. It has nothing to do with other things that may also have fipples. *shudder

Oh, no you don't.

It's a D/C modal whistle. So what is it good for? Obviously, you can play a C-major scale on it, not just D-major and G-major. But there are other very cool aspects. That bottom C, below the D, gives you a D-whistle with the ability to dip below the fundamental. That comes in handy for song airs, which often do such dipping. As I got to know the whistle I discovered that there is much more to it. First, you can play the middle c-natural with that seventh hole, like this: xxx xx(x)xx. The regular oxx ooo c-natural is also in tune (it's an Overton), but the all-holds-barred c-natural is a bit stronger. And you can slide into the middle d from the c-natural, which is exceptionally cool if you want to freak out a someone who plays the whistle and is listening closely.

I clipped a song, She Moved Through the Fair, to demonstrate. Here is the the recording and here are the dots (vaguely):

Just kidding! Sorry, that wasn't me on the Overton D/C Modal. Remember those little buzz things kids would hold in their palms to give you a jolt when they shake your hand? Not that it matters. Anyway, here is me playing She Moved Through the Fair (sorta) on my D/C modal. You can hear me really sliding into that second middle d, milking it a bit. She Moved... on Overton D/C modal.

That seventh hole also permits you to roll the D on a D-whistle, tapping the c-natural hole. That should suit all those fine who can't get enough of rolling the c-natural (which is by the way also very easily done by playing an A-roll with the four fingers of your right hand down). I am just mentioning it, not recommending it, or anything. ;)

But wait, there's more, and I'm not talking about the six Japanese steak knives. There is the f-natural hole. That lets you play, um, f-naturals. I like using it for the faster stuff. Great for such tunes as Julia Delaney (no need to switch whistles in a set) or My Marianne, even Give me Your Hand (if you're so inclined). But that already shows the limitation of the f-natural hole: you can't bend it. The advantage of half-holing is that you have total control over the pitch of the note. Incidentally, the big problem with half-holing is that you have total control over the pitch of the note. So, I find myself using both. If I want to make the f-natural expressive, which usually means pushing it noticeably sharp, I halfhole. If I just want to go on to the next note, I like the f-natural hole.

Here is another clip (came out a bit sloppy): The Maids of Mitchelstown. There is a characteristic f-natural in the second part. The tune is often played on a C-whistle to give a clear, reliable f-natural. But that is weakness. Real whistlers use a D-whistle and half-hole. Since I have moments of weakness, I've used the f-natural hole for the first f-natural and have half-holed the second one. The Sloppy Maids of Mitchelstown.

P.S. Edited to add that you can also use that f-natural hole for very effective rolls. Colin Goldie demonstrated that for me, but I haven't developed the knack yet.

I have dived right in and have gone on and one about c-naturals and f-naturals. Still, that's not the important stuff. The important point is that this is a fantastic whistle, strong, balanced, and easy to play. It is not one of Colin's "easy-blow" whistles, and it requires the player to support his or her breath. The tone is clear and lovely and Cosmic. It's fairly loud, but not as loud as a Susato. Gorgeous, and I'm in love all over again.
Last edited by Bloomfield on Wed May 04, 2005 9:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
/Bloomfield
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Jeez-- what did you have to go and tell us about that for? :sniffle:

I've been curious about those little babies.

BTW-- the blue whistle (D?) in your pic looks just like my anodized Overton A which I love. I got the blue to match my PT Cruiser...

I made a test body tube a while back in D, but with an extension to play a C below the usual bell note D-- it does indeed come in handy once in a while. Otherwise, you can just ignore it and play the whistle like a normal D.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
emmline

Post by emmline »

Bloomie! I'm so happy for you!
thurlowe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by thurlowe »

Yay! Fun to read and fun to listen to. Loved "Maids of Mitchelstown." But the midi file sounded charmingly naive-- Evil-Lite, if you will-- after spinning the new CD from the truly sinister estrogen-fuled Celtic supergroup (they keep sending them). You will have to try harder. Other than that, another keeper, Bloomfield.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

brewerpaul wrote: BTW-- the blue whistle (D?) in your pic looks just like my anodized Overton A which I love. I got the blue to match my PT Cruiser...

I made a test body tube a while back in D, but with an extension to play a C below the usual bell note D-- it does indeed come in handy once in a while. Otherwise, you can just ignore it and play the whistle like a normal D.
Yes, the anodized Overtons are cool, although I typically prefer just the plain ones.

I've spoken about the D/C modals with Colin when he played me two or three over the phone. The length of the tube changes the characteristics of the whistle to some extent, and if I recall correctly it does affect how he makes the mouthpiece. I like the fact that you can play the whistle just like a D whistle. It does blow slightly differently from both the D and C Overton. But then, every Overton I've ever played had it's very own character and personality, so that it's hard for me to say what is what.

It's funny: once you do have that bottom C you realize how often you can use it, especially when you use it for the middle c-natural, too.
/Bloomfield
norseman

Post by norseman »

I assume you could also half-hole the low C hole with the pinky to get a low C#. Have you tried that?

Bob
Failure is NOT an option - it comes bundled with the software.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

thurlowe wrote:Yay! Fun to read and fun to listen to. Loved "Maids of Mitchelstown." But the midi file sounded charmingly naive-- Evil-Lite, if you will-- after spinning the new CD from the truly sinister estrogen-fuled Celtic supergroup (they keep sending them). You will have to try harder. Other than that, another keeper, Bloomfield.
Hehehe. I think they used an oboe on that CD... :boggle:

I included the midi file so people could hear how She Moved through the Fair should properly sound. When I die, I want to be buried in a polyester suit, and I want a funeral parlor with a shag carpet, plastic flowers, and that particular midi-file playing on auto-repeat.
/Bloomfield
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

Bloomfield,

Thanks (I think) for the information. I've been interested in these as well and you have made the itch worse. I wish that these were more commonly available among the mid-priced brands. It would give one a chance to fool around without having to commit to a higher end instrument.

Peter
Shut up and drink your gin! - Fagin
carrie

Post by carrie »

Bloomfield wrote:
It's funny: once you do have that bottom C you realize how often you can use it, especially when you use it for the middle c-natural, too.
What??? Play a c-natural with an extra hole??? The very thought makes me shudder. :)

Nice review, Bloomfield; the whistle looks and sounds great!

Carol

PS Re: your funeral--may I also suggest some overhead lighting directed to the main attraction, possibly red from one side and green from the other? I think it's the final touch you might have overlooked to give everyone the peace of mind that you are indeed moving on to a better place.
*sniffle
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

norseman wrote:I assume you could also half-hole the low C hole with the pinky to get a low C#. Have you tried that?

Bob
I've tried it. Awkward. Works as a party-trick but I cannot see actually using it in a tune. On a low whistle, it's a different story, you can use your legs (although I'd hate to knock my own dentures out). Anyway, you can't get the C-natural.
Last edited by Bloomfield on Wed May 04, 2005 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/Bloomfield
norseman

Post by norseman »

Thanks for all the info on this Bloomfield! I just sent in an order for one of these. About how long is the wait?

Bob
LisaD

Post by LisaD »

Aaarrggghhh!

I thought that I was over WhOA.

:boggle:
norseman

Post by norseman »

LisaD wrote:Aaarrggghhh!

I thought that I was over WhOA.

:boggle:
Once you have it, there are only periods where it's dormant. It never really goes away! :D
Last edited by norseman on Wed May 04, 2005 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

norseman wrote:Thanks for all the info on this Bloomfield! I just sent in an order for one of these. About how long is the wait?

Bob
Really depends on what Colin has lying around and when he is making what. I understand that he makes different keys whistles in batches. When I ordered mine in December, Colin had two or three ready. Maybe he still has one of those. :)
/Bloomfield
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

norseman wrote:
Once you have it, there are only period where it's dormant. It never really goes away! :D
I can speak to the truth of this, from personal experience

:oops: