Whistle noobie

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Ann
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Whistle noobie

Post by Ann »

I just thought I'd say Hello to these forums. I'm new to both these forums and whistles themselves. A friend game me a well loved old high "d" whistle years ago. It is a bit of an inspiration, the way he'd worn through a layer of metal with too much use. I've always wanted to play something and was tricked into thinking that this was an instrument simple enough for me to pick up at my advanced age. I mean how much can you do with 6 little holes. Little did I know how wrong I was. I love the thing and will keep trying to get it, but is there really such a thing as being too old to learn how to play an instrument. I really want to know. I'm 38 now, and have been playing with it since February.

Even if I can never learn to play properly it has opened my ear to the sounds and technique of Irish music, that alone is worth the effort.

My second question is babout the whistle itself, its a high "D" whistle, and I hate the way the D sounds in both high and low registar. Especially the high, it's much too flat and shrill. Is it my "technique" or the whistle's fault?
jsluder
antispam: No

Post by jsluder »

Welcome!

If you're enjoying the experience, you're not too old to learn! Just have realistic expectations; you're not likely to sound like Mary Bergin any time soon.

I'll let the whistle-makers and whistle-tweakers address your second question. :)

Cheers,
John
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
markbell
antispam: No

Post by markbell »

Welcome, Ann,

I started whistling in 1987 when my father-in-law brought me a souvenir Clare D whistle from Ireland.

Some whistles, possibly yours, are just unpleasant to play. Everyone has a favorite, and you might want to get a couple of different inexpensive D whistles to see if there is one with a sound you like better.

I started whistling in my mid-20's, and started playing mandolin in my mid-30's. I know people who have started instruments much later in life than that. It's good fer yer brain to keep at it with new experiences.

There are many, many good resources around for beginning whistlers.

If you can make a tune come out of it, you are a musician.
If you like the tune coming out of it, you are a good musician.
If others like the tune coming out of it, you are an advanced musician.

Mark
sibilo ergo sum
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

Welcome, Ann
I wrote this post a few weeks back and it will give you an idea of what you can do at your advanced age:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ht=#332707

The most important thing I found is get a whistle that you feel comfortable with.

Good luck and enjoy
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I am 66 years old and took up the whistle about 2 years ago. I can play but not great but I enjoy playing. I am beginning to get the hang of Trad whistling. So jump in and enjoy. Welcome to the forum.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Hi Ann---I am 55 and just started playing the whistle in September. Once again I have learned that NO instrument is easy to play well, or even at all really. Please, do not fall into the trap of thinking you are too old to do anything!!! That is something people will tell you and they are wrong. It is just plain ridiculous.

The low and high D are the hardest notes in my experience. It could be partly your whistle and partly you. You can improve them. The low D seems to take a slower air speed, it is easy to blow too hard. You need to experiment around with your throat and lips, but eventually you will get it better. So far, for me, it mostly has a somewhat different sound than the other notes, but it has improved a lot and sometimes it sounds really good. My high D also sounds very different, breathier, than the other notes. In fact, any note I play in which the top hole is open sounds that way. However, that note also I have been able to sometimes get a good sound on. If I can do it once, then I can do it again. But it is not easy. If the high D is flat, then I believe you need to speed up your air flow to sharpen it. Rather than just blowing harder, try shaping your lips to make a smaller aperture for the air to go through.

If you think about whistling with your lips, you know that your lips change shape with the different tones you are making. And also you are doing things inside your throat and with your cheeks. Try doing some of those things on the notes you have trouble with. They affect the speed of the air flow.

Find some very simple tunes that you like and play them very slowly. Practice a bit each day on the notes that are hard. I also think that just to be able to play some tunes for myself would be fun. Don't compare yourself to people who have been playing for 40 years!!!!
Duffy

Post by Duffy »

RonKiley wrote:I am 66 years old and took up the whistle about 2 years ago. I can play but not great but I enjoy playing. I am beginning to get the hang of Trad whistling. So jump in and enjoy. Welcome to the forum.

Ron
Are you sure I didn't write this Ron? Maybe there's an echo in here. Anyway, I say exactly the same thing. Better listen to the old guys. Age and experience make us experts in everything, and rich, and successful, and handsome, and sexy, and humble :D
stratochicnic

Post by stratochicnic »

Thanks for all the tips guys (still a newbie). I'm starting lessons with Bill Ochs tomorrow, so excited :D :D

Anyway, about learning instruments...
I don't want to make anyone feel old here :oops: but when I decided to take up tin whistle I felt a bit old myself because traditionally tin whistle is taught to children and I'm 18 (okay maybe I'm still a child :lol).
I took piano lessons when I was about 9 but I never really finished and I picked up guitar around 14. I'd like to learn violin and drums when I'm older and as long as I maintain an interest, I know I will. So age has nothing to do with anything. If there's a will, there's a way. You should be congratulating yourself Ann, for having the desire to keep yourself challenged ;) If only I can get my parents to do the same...
-- Nicki

"Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn." - Charlie Parker
stratochicnic

Post by stratochicnic »

Duffy wrote:
RonKiley wrote:I am 66 years old and took up the whistle about 2 years ago. I can play but not great but I enjoy playing. I am beginning to get the hang of Trad whistling. So jump in and enjoy. Welcome to the forum.

Ron
Are you sure I didn't write this Ron? Maybe there's an echo in here. Anyway, I say exactly the same thing. Better listen to the old guys. Age and experience make us experts in everything, and rich, and successful, and handsome, and sexy, and humble :D
Nice attitude :lol:
-- Nicki

"Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn." - Charlie Parker
stratochicnic

Post by stratochicnic »

markbell wrote:
If you can make a tune come out of it, you are a musician.

Mark

I love those definitions :D Now I'm comfortable calling myself an "advanced musician" :lol:
-- Nicki

Cynth

Post by Cynth »

:lol:
A person's idea of what is old sure does change!
stratochicnic

Post by stratochicnic »

Cynth wrote::lol:
A person's idea of what is old sure does change!
I have friends in their twenties who swear they're old :roll:
-- Nicki

Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Well, I do remember being in the 4th grade and thinking the sixth graders were old. I guess it just goes to show it is an idea we impose on situations, "old" is always relative to something else. But I actually think, except for things like playing football or ballet dancing where physical strength comes into it, that having more experience in life (like more problems to solve basically) can make a person a lot more effective at learning and doing things. It is fine not to want to do things, but blaming it on one's age is just an excuse I think.
StewySmoots wrote:I wrote this post a few weeks back and it will give you an idea of what you can do at your advanced age:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ht=#332707
This was really a helpful post that Stewy wrote.
Last edited by Cynth on Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stratochicnic

Post by stratochicnic »

Cynth wrote:Well, I do remember being in the 4th grade and thinking the sixth graders were old. I guess it just goes to show it is an idea we impose on situations, "old" is always relative to something else. But I actually think, except for things like playing football or ballet dancing where physical strength comes into it, that having more experience in life (like more problems to solve basically) can make a person a lot more effective at learning and doing things. It is fine not to want to do things, but blaming it on one's age is just an excuse I think.
Very well said :) "Old" is a concept that is (hopefully) everchanging. And like you said, when it involves your mind, you can't blame your age for not doing something.
-- Nicki

BoneQuint

Post by BoneQuint »

markbell wrote:If you can make a tune come out of it, you are a musician.
What if others like it and you don't?