Mic-ing the whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dawin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dawin »

I'm looking for any information on what mic's are good to use, as well as positioning.

I currently have Macintosh Plaintalk mic, a Peavy PV1 Mic, and an Alesis Midiverb2.

Has there ever been a whistle pick-up mic, like on a guitar?
-Dawin
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

Well, a pickup and a mic aren't the same things. An electric guitar pickup works by magnetically sensing the string movement, and an acoustic piezo transducer by picking up the vibrations of the soundboard -- neither really pick up the vibrations-in-air sound of the instrument.

You won't find a whole lot of wind instrument transducers. The only one I can think of is for trumpet, and it sounds like a trumpet transducer, not like a trumpet. So it's just a case of buying a unidirectional or cardoid mic that meets your needs and budget and playing in front of it.
<ul>-Rich</ul>
ErikT
antispam: No

Post by ErikT »

I've had very good luck with the MicroVox flute mic (http://www.microvox.demon.co.uk/flutepage.htm). It does a great job. The link above will show you the swan neck. I also have the M500. Using the swan neck I put it about an inch above the blade. With the M500, I've made a little attachement piece that I can position about 1 centimeter away from the hole and perpendicular to the whistle body.

Erik
Dawin

Post by Dawin »

Thanks to all.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dawin on 2001-07-26 13:21 ]</font>