(OT) It's my Birthday today and my parents gave me....

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mastersound
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Mastersound »

Happy Birthday Sara!

The only disappointing Corrs CD I have is Corrs Live, from Langelands in Denmark. It's good but it's not great. The Corrs Unplugged DVD is great, and I'm trying to get Corrs In Albert Park and Corrs Live in London from my local DVD shop.

Not into Enya I'm afraid... it's a bit too much like elevator music for me :smile:)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mastersound on 2002-02-22 02:24 ]</font>
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

<P>Happy B-day! But what's this?? No whistles for presents?!? What were they thinking.

<P>~Firefly
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Happy Belated Sara,

Kicking myself I didn't see this yesterday - or maybe today is tomorrow where you are, in which case Happy Yesterday!

Martin
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
LeeMarsh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

Happy Birthday, Sara (and Sarah).

If you like the Enya record you might want to check out Clannad. Enya used to be the lead singer for Clannad. Clannad had done a lot of movie and tv work including Patriot Games, Last of the Mohicans, and most of theme work for the British version TV series Robin Hood.
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
markv

Post by markv »

Happy B day indeed, even if a bit late.

Mark

P.S. Lee,
Funny you should mention... I recenty was diggin through our old video tapes and found the whole Robin Hood series I had taped from Showtime years ago. Great series!
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

On 2002-02-22 09:56, LeeMarsh wrote:
Happy Birthday, Sara (and Sarah).

If you like the Enya record you might want to check out Clannad. Enya used to be the lead singer for Clannad. Clannad had done a lot of movie and tv work including Patriot Games, Last of the Mohicans, and most of theme work for the British version TV series Robin Hood.
Enya was not really the lead singer for Clannad. Enya (which is the phonetic spelling of her Irish name, Eithne) is the kid sister of the Brennan siblings (Maire Ni Bhraonain, Pol and Ciaran O Braonain), who together with their twin uncles (Noel and Padraig O Dugain), started Clannad in the early seventies. Enya was part of Clannad for a short time, I believe two years in the early eighties, playing keyboards, and backing up her sister, "Moya" Brennan. Enya may have done lead vocals on a few tracks. Most Clannad lead vocals are by Maire, who also plays the harp, and who has gone on to record a few solo CD (the first was called "Maire" I think).

Following their success with the theme music to Harry's Game and some BBC documentaries, Clannad became more and more New Age. I guess Enya's presence in the line-up didn't help. Now they have come to almost typify the "Cletic New Age" sound.

To hear some good Clannad music, I recommend going back to their early albums, such as "Clannad 2" and "Dulaman" and the live album "Clannad on Tour" (which contains a breathtaking acappella song). Clannad 1 has long been out of print, I think. There is some creditable tin whistle playing by Pol O Braonain and some truely stunning singing. At the time, it was wild and revolutionary for five young, long-haired family members from Gweedore in the Donegal backwaters to sing the old, nearly forgotten songs in Gaelic. Nobody except the old-timers sang in Gaelic when they started out, certainly no on in popular music, and without early Clannad, who knows if singing in Gaelic would ever have become popular and if Maire Ni Mhaonaigh would have had the same success?

One last note on the little sister: Clannad really became successful when they started working with producer Nicky Ryan (who had just come of working on the last Planxty album before the break). Nicky Ryan then went on to work with Enya on her solo albums, and it is Ryan who is at least as responsible for the familiar Enya-sound as is Enya. Enya has said as much herself.

----

Sara, happy birthday! :smile:
/Bloomfield
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

Bloomfield, thanks for the details, I had only heard she sang with them.

I have a couple of the older Clannad stuff (nothing recent); Dolaman and a couple of compilations from thier "Themes" work. For me they are nice mellowing-out-music, especially at the end of a work day with too many 'customer service challenges'. It great for times when I don't care weather, what I'm listening to is pure drop trad or nose drop trash - as long as its mmmeeellloooww. If Clannad is New Age Celtic, then I like New Age Celtic, very comforting.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LeeMarsh on 2002-02-22 11:02 ]</font>
Sara

Post by Sara »

Thanks again for the notes! I'll have to look for The Corr's Unplugged and Shepherd's Moon - they sound wizard!

Peace and love,
Sara
Somewhere in Texas, a village is missing its idiot.

You can't hear the truth over your own lawnmower, man!
mwewriter

Post by mwewriter »

Hey, we have the same birthday!

Hope you had a happy one!! :smile:
Grannymouse

Post by Grannymouse »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SARA! I almost missed it.Let me know if you're going to be able to make the NTIF.....would like to say hello in person. Gm
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
Desiderata
Sara

Post by Sara »

mwewriter,
That's cool that we have the same birthday! Hope you had a happy one too!

Peace,
Sara

"Hey Jude, don't make it bad, take a sad song, and make it better." - Beatles
Sara

Post by Sara »

Grannymouse,
Thank you! I don't know if I'm going to be able to go or not - I hope I can! I'd like to say hello in person too! I might be able to go, I'm not sure.

Peace,
Sara

"All we are saying, is give peace a chance." - excerpt from a John Lennon song. :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sara on 2002-02-23 00:07 ]</font>