Begin with a high end whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
tinwfun
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by tinwfun »

I got Burke Al Pro D whistle yesterday. It is a great whistle, good appearance, good volume, pure, easy to play, etc. I love it. I started to learn tin whistle 5 months ago. I bought 9 inexpensive whistles; I am only satisfied Susato C. The money I spent on inexpensive is almost close to buy a Burke whistle. If I could start again, I would buy a high end (semi-expensive) whistle in the begining like Burke's whistle. I believe a good quality whistle will help beginner to learn fast and enjoy playing.

I am thinking to buy low D whistle now. I like the low whistle has the qualities as Burke's D whistle, not chiff, not breathy, easy to play. Does Dixon low D has those qualities or any other semi-expensive low D whistles you can suggest me to buy. Thanks.
Tom_Gaul

Post by Tom_Gaul »

Congratulations on your choice of the Burke Al Pro D. It is right up there on the list of fine whistles. If you are thinking of a low D I assume that you are aware that you can't play it with your fingertips like the high D? It requires playing with the middle part of your fingers (the piper's grip) because of the greater distance between the finger holes. It takes some getting used to.

I have read good things about Dixon whistles but others who play low whistles can advise you better than I can. Some might even advise you to spend more time with the high whistle before you branch out but that is a personal choice.

Best of luck with your playing, Tom
Wandering_Whistler

Post by Wandering_Whistler »

Not to beat a dead horse too much, but I play my Chieftain low D fingertip style just fine :smile: I do understand that I'm in the great minority on this one, however.

Greg
paulsdad

Post by paulsdad »

In regards to the "piper's grip", is the whistle played using the middle digit over the holes, or the lower part of the digit at the end of the finger?
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

A picture says a thousand words...
http://www.chiffandfipple.com/pipers.html
For me, the Dixon is easier than the Susato, which is easier than the Overton. Ask someone else and you'll (most likely) get a diffeent set of answers.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

The conventional wisdom, which I generally share, is that beginners should start out with a good inexpensive whistle. Susato, Sweetone, Clare, something like that. But, I have to admit that I think that there is something to be said for starting out with a good whistle. The first "expensive' whistle I acquired was a nickel D Copeland. I was a beginner player (as opposed to my current status: "No longer a beginner but sounds like one"). I was immediately impressed with how much better I could play with the better instrument. I handed the Copeland to one of my kids, who could barely do a scale on a Generation or Walton, and she was immediately able to play a fluid scale.

Dale
jmssmh

Post by jmssmh »

Begin with a high end whistle...but end with a cheap one.

I had a lot of expensive whistles but now only play the cheap ones (of course I learned how to tweaked them) and enjoy playing the whistle more than ever.

Joe
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I agree with the idea of starting with a good quality cheap whistle, or even several before considering a high end one ( as much as I would love to sell you one of mine). There is so much variation in whistles, especially the handmade ones, and as a beginner you are not really equipped to inteligently decide what type or make of whistle you will really love in the long one-- wood? metal? straight bore? conical? Because of these differences, people who can afford them often buy several/many whistles in all price ranges. Stick with the cheapies for now, then do your high price shopping later.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!