Andy McGann's on the Whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Having just recommended the classic A Tribute to Michael Coleman CD by Joe Burke/Andy McGann/Felix Dolan, I was listening to it again. There is the jig called Andy McGann's, which has become a very popular tune and which has been recorded by many musicians. I think it's also a fairly common session tune.

Andy McGann's seems to me like a fiddle tune that wouldn't sit so well on a whistle, and I am curious, does anyone play it on the whistle?
/Bloomfield
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

If it's the one I think you mean it is actually called Brendan Tonra's after the man who composed it. It works fine if you raise the notes that go below the witistles capabilities by an octave.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

The liner notes say that it's Andy McGann's composition and that he originally wanted to name it "The Gander" because "The Old Grey Goose" came after it in the set.

It's track 13 on that CD. I think it's different from the reel is on Jack Daily/Kevin Burke's Eavesdropper or on Buttons & Bows (McGuire/McGuire/Daily), I think. Seamus and Manus McGuire recorded it (with Daithi Sproule) on Carousel, IIRC. Kevin Burke did the Jig on the Celtic Fiddle Festival (or somewhere) but now I am confused and not sure whichAndy McGann's that may have been. :???: I didn't know there was another jig called the same...
/Bloomfield
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Hm, I'm confused too now, found another three jigs called Any Mac's since.

Interesting typo you have there, Jacky insists on playing some tunes more times than the rest of the session and Eamonn McGivney calls him 'Three times Daly' because of it.