The tweak of all tweaks or what do with a whistle that can't

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Boredom is the mother of all evil. It's a quiet night on the reference desk, and I had to answer a question for someone looking for websites on homemade instruments.

"I was on the net and couldn't find anything!!" Can you help me? In seconds I had more than you ever wanted to know about homemade instruments using Google.

"Gee how'd you do that?" Oh well the person was happy, so played with the question for a while and found this site below.

"Turn a tinwhistle into a "NO-Hole, Bugle-Scaled whistle." (Played with one finger and overblown)

So if you have a whistle that can't be tweaked and don't know what to do with it, go here:

http://www.ehhs.cmich.edu/~dhavlena/whistle2.htm

Mark
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

I never heard of a Cooperman whistle before, through these pages or elsewhere.

From the description they sound very Clarke Original/ Shaw.

Does anyone have one, or experience of one?
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Blarney Pilgrim
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Blarney Pilgrim »

My first whistle was a Cooperman. I bought it at a museum store for about 6 dollars. They are actually made of tin with a wooden fipple plug that actually sticks out beyond the rest of the mouth piece. It has breath a requirement and a sound much like a Clarke. The amazing thing is that it is the most in tune cheap whistle I have. They are made by the Cooperman fife and drum company and are sold at a number of museum stores and historical attractions.<br> Steve