I tweaked myself silly

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ysgwd

Post by ysgwd »

Having recently become much less gainfully employed, and having to cancel orders for a few whistles on wait, my whoa has been replaced by whot, t for tweaking.

Bb Generation--the Eb and above sounded sickly. First, I took the fipple to the diamond grinding wheel in our workshop and removed most of that unsightly hump. See the picture.
http://www.overland.net/~ysgwd/Bbgentweak.jpg
Then I shoved sticky tack in that cavity under the windway entrance. Now I have a decent sounding, although a bit quiet in the lower range, Bb Generation.

Shaw sop D--I clog this one almost as much as I do my Hoovers. Go figure. I did. This whistle requires so much air it takes some spit along with it. Really. My Sweetone doesn't clog on me, but it is beginning to rust. I removed the fipple from my Sweetone. I held it up to the Shaw so that the blades were at the same level. Then I drew a line with marker on the Shaw where to saw. I let my boyfriend use the finest blade on his jewelers saw to decapitate the Shaw. He left margin for error and then ground it even on a sandpaper wheel. Oh, yeah, I double checked the diameter of the Shaw cutline with calipers before cutting to make sure the Sweetone head would fit well. It feels and sounds better than the Sweetone did. See the image. http://www.overland.net/~ysgwd/shweetone.jpg

Laughing sop D--I poured jet dry down its gullet and then slung out the excess from the inside and wiped it off the outside. After it dried, it left a slightly numbing taste on the tip of my tongue, but let me get through a set of three tunes without clogging. The fiddler I play with favors the tone of this whistle above all others, and now I will be able to make him happy.

Hoover narrow and traditional bore sop Ds--these are narrow enough to dip right into the bottle of jet dry. I slung out and wiped off the excess. After it dried, the narrow bore let me get through to rounds of gravelwalk without clogging.

I will ushe lesh jet dry neksht time.
Lisa

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ysgwd on 2002-02-20 16:29 ]</font>
LeeMarsh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

On 2002-02-20 16:26, ysgwd wrote: ...
I will ushe lesh jet dry neksht time.
Lisa
Numbthing wrong? :roll:

Nice Pics make it so much easier to see what your tweaking 'bout.
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
Stef
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Stef »

Just finished tweaking a Clark, as per description of "Tweaked Clark" on the whistleshop.com website. Sounds nice. A little softer than the original, with a bit more chiff. Good for apartment practice. The B 'pops-up' way too easilly now, however. I think I will try opening the windway just a little more to fix this.

Anyone else tried this tweak?
TelegramSam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TelegramSam »

So what does this SweetShaw (or is it ShawTone??) sound like?
ysgwd

Post by ysgwd »

The "Shweetone" sounds very much like the old Sweetone, except it is easier to prevent extraneous noise, and it is very slightly louder. If you don't like the sound of the Sweetone at all, don't try this tweak. By the way, I had no problem keeping the hybrid in tune--the main thing seems to be to keep the same distance between the top of the first hole and the top of the blade in the windway.
Lisa