Neil O'Grady's whistle mini-review

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
rich
i see what you did there
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by rich »

I received one of Neil O'Grady's whistles in the mail the other day. Neil's a well-established Uillean pipe maker in Newfoundland, and sells his whistles directly and through Song of the Sea.

The whistle looks like a Clare, which makes sense since he bought 2000 red plastic fipples and one-piece brass bodies from David LeBas (and has about 500 left). I haven't played a Clare, so I can't make comparisons.

I'm unimpressed with the whistle. It <i>plays</i> great, fast and clean, great sound, but its tuning leaves a lot to be desired. Since it seems improbable that a well-known UP maker couldn't tune a whistle, I have to assume that he's just putting them together and sending them out the door. (The label, on paper held on with scotch tape(!), suggests that too.) And, well, if you wanted a generic Clare, unless you're already in Atlantic Canada, you may as well get one from the usual places.

The quest for inexpensive-whistle Zen continues; next stop, Tony Dixon :smile:
<ul>-Rich</ul>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rich on 2001-07-22 01:26 ]</font>
jmssmh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jmssmh »

I agree with Rich, the O"Grady is no better than all the other inexpensive whistles. But I have found inexpensive whistle heaven. Wlaton Little Black fipple ($3.50 from The Whistle Shop), put on a Feadog body (the best price I have found is $6.00 at Tayberry's) and sticky tac to fill the cavity in the fipple. The result is for less than $10 the best inexpensive whistle. Easily tuned and in tuned with itself, the best OXXOOO C natural of any of the inexpensive whistle and a great clear sound in both octaves and I think even a little louder than other cheap whistles. The best part is thatall the whistles I have tweaked (6 so far) this way have been consitent in all of the above qualities.

I would like someone esle to try to make this tweaked whistle and let me know if they get similar results or have been looking for the perfect whistle for too long and have gone over the edge.

Joe